2021.12 Feedback

Morten Saether

I installed this latest release today - 27.12.0.102 (over the last EA build 093_2), in general, everything works normally, but today there were several incidents that have not existed for a long time.

1. When configuring the plugin, at some point, Cakewalk suddenly crashed spontaneously with a suggestion to save the backup. Half an hour later, there was another crash for no apparent reason at all, this has not happened to me for a very long time, I was unpleasantly surprised. After opening the project again, the visualization of the audio clips was completely minimized, although before doing this I adjusted the scale of all the clips quite large.
2. In the console window, when adding an AUX track from Outputs of tracks, the horizontal scroll at the bottom in the tracks section disappears, in the BUS section the scroll remains.
3. There was a bug when removing a track from a folder, after this operation the selected track (several tracks) is in the first places at the top of tracks, this is very inconvenient. If you remove the tracks from the folder by dragging, then it works correctly.

Please check if anyone else has such anomalies?

Edited by IgoRr

1 hour ago, IgoRr said:

2. In the console window, when adding an AUX track from Outputs of tracks, the horizontal scroll at the bottom in the tracks section disappears, in the BUS section the scroll remains.

That one's been in there for years, at least in my experience.

To recreate: have enough tracks in a project such that a scrollbar appears in the 'tracks' pane of the Console View.
Scroll all the way to the right (might not be necessary, but that's where I always am when this happens).
Add a track (regular, aux, doesn't matter).

The scroll bar disappears. The new track is slightly visible on the right edge of the pane, but mostly cropped off. No scrollbar, so no way to move it into the pane.

Touch the track/bus divider bar, scrollbar reappears, all works as expected again.

Great update, love the new nested folders. ....the only thing I'm not convinced about is the new folder dragging behaviour.

=====snip =======

image.png.292f8d3b21c601a02df40f6ea9cd7277.png

=====snip ========

It feels to me that it's made something that was very simple and intuitive, a bit awkward and potentially confusing.

I use folders all the time so for me if I want to drop something inside a folder it seems natural it would look like this when I drag & drop..blue box all around ( Dragging the FX Folder into the Percs Folder ) 

Example A

image.png.7ddb17b78515277750d8346ee0172b37.png

Or if I wanted to move the FX folder to be between the Keys and Percs Folder then it would be like this 

Example B

image.png.3ab2374b7e46989cc57d23c4bb0227ef.png

Now hower to achive example B I have to remember slide the mouse over to the left until the blue line is all the way across. or I end up with the below

Example C

image.png.f40439129ac566ff35ca8c683e858d84.png

This feels somewhat awkward  as it's not easy to keep the mouse in a straight line for how far left you have to slide it and every time I've used it I've veered off course which generally means I've ended up back at example A by accident and needed to course correct before releasing the mouse button.

Previously it was super easy to drop  things either in folders ( example A )  or between them ( example B ) but now it's somewhat less intuiitve to drop them in between and I'm not sure why the new method in Example C has been introduced as I think I'm right in saying it has the same net result as per Example A ? 

Unless I'm missing something ? 

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, John Bradley said:

That one's been in there for years, at least in my experience.

But this did not happen to me, that's why I was so surprised.

Thanks for the hint, if you move the dividing strip between the tracks and the BUS, the scroll appears again.

3 hours ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

Great update, love the new nested folders. ....the only thing I'm not convinced about is the new folder dragging behaviour.

It feels to me that it's made something that was very simple and intuitive, a bit awkward and potentially confusing.

I totally agree... it should be simpler.

I know @msmcleod wrote that "There's no way for Cakewalk to guess your intent here" in the EA thread.

But as I see it, there are three scenarios:

1. If you drop it on a track folder, the track goes into the folder, to the bottom. (If there are nested folders you want to target, you need to hover on top to expand them first.)
  2. if you drop it in between fully collapsed folders it should stay on the top level
  3. If you drop it in between tracks that are on different levels, only then is a destination ("drag") indicator needed to show which level your track will end up on.

Changing folder color (especially some colors like yellow) makes [+] and [-] icon illegible.

I'm not sure if this update is the cause or not... but
If it's a long-standing problem, it's just terrible. :/

Edited by HIBI

Hello, well, it's not specific, but it's for latest version and i had that issue also with last sonar, i wrote about it before probably.

BitBridge.exe 1.0.6.1900 5552742a
ntdll.dll 10.0.19041.1288 027db076 c0000374 000e6c43 38ac 01d7f363f0edc7c3

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\BitBridge.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
a8fe6391-b8ea-4cc5-963c-f34c9c60143c

this error i got with x32 VSTi ProteusVX - hardware based rompler.
And well a little non-related to CW, but what's with Rapture Pro ? and maybe Zeta 2 ?
i mean there is a lot of software now and sonar is free, so it will be alright to support you for people with buying those synths maybe,
but it's unavailable. Command Center is not working as a store and there's no those synths available anywhere in stores.

While  i can't spend much bucks, i got not that much, but with those sales i get some
and i got those previous versions that came with sonar pro to me, so maybe some people would upgrade those
and it would be alright for all. each year it goes more outdated really and needs some modern functions to add,
but if it is not available, well... it's just about your economical model , but also about good synths working.
i mean i like Proteus, because it is hardware based synth, but Rapture PRO is even more powerful, except not using my DSP.  
maybe you will need some iLok security for that and it will be alright. actually you got some of BandLab security,
i'm just not sure how hard is it, but you can activate those synths through sonar bl + command center with that.
well, it's like you can have that premium or platinum edition with support of those.
right now it's unavailable.

it would be nice to have support from listeners directly, but it's not working without big promo
and actually i don't see how far the distribution program is now. 
for me Stripe is just not available for my country.
And also i see, that they remove Sonar or not mention Cakewalk in software compatibility for vsts maybe sometimes.

Edited by OeAi

@OeAi

If I'm not mistaken, once this problem was solved by extracting Bitbridge from the old version of Sonar X1 and placing it in the appropriate folder with a replacement. This does not affect the work of new plugins, since Bitbridge only works with 32-bit plugins, and they are almost always old (for example ProteusVX), therefore the old version of Bitbridge is better suited.

I have been using Steinberg Halion 2.5 and Ediroll HyperCanvas for many years, and at some point they stopped working correctly, I replaced my native Bitbridge with this old one from Sonar X1, and for a while they worked fine.

13 minutes ago, IgoRr said:

@OeAi

If I'm not mistaken, once this problem was solved by extracting Bitbridge from the old version of Sonar X1 and placing it in the appropriate folder with a replacement. 

thank you, i'll try, but i think, if they've made some fixes, maybe it was neccessary and it would be nice to get it working both fixes.
i am using Image-line minihost, but sometimes it's freezes and i just found tone2-nanohost, but it's not vst-plugin.
and seems like i got both 1.06.1900 versions of bitbridge, maybe there is some newer and they've made some wrong update or something.

Edited by OeAi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Please keep this thread focused on 2021.12 specific issues. Thanks.

well, for some reason after update plugin scanner takes too long and hangs with guitar rig 5
and it starts to work longer with vst32 folder first
after reboot guitar rig problem expired, but it was long to scan anyway

UPD  now it works normal again, seems like some NI plugins wasn't installed well or just their installer was blocking other processes.

Edited by OeAi
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Noted. We'll try and improve it in a future release.

Thanks Noel. 

My suggestion would be to invert the new behaviour so a drag 'straight up' gives the full bar as per example B , and if you want to bring it in as per Example C you would then drag  a little to right. You'd have the dual benefit of retaining the existing workflow but also incorporating the new method with a slight modification. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

11 minutes ago, Jorge Arias said:

to check if it is a problem with that color combination or if it happens in all

Seems it's okay if with the factory theme "Tungsten", however, I like the factory theme "Mercury"... :/

Edited by HIBI
Should I refrain from using the Mercury theme?