Steinberg licensing news update

jerrydf

Steinberg have issued an update on their licensing news page

December 15, 2021: Updated licensing terms on “Online Activation”:

Based on the feedback we received from our customers, we have decided to make changes to our initial concept. First, instead of reconnecting to the internet within 30 days, once your software has been activated on your computer, it won’t need to contact our Steinberg Licensing server again for the purposes of activation. Second, we have decided to increase the maximum number of activations from two to three computers per single-user license.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, jerrydf said:

Steinberg have issued an update on their licensing news page

December 15, 2021: Updated licensing terms on “Online Activation”:

Based on the feedback we received from our customers, we have decided to make changes to our initial concept. First, instead of reconnecting to the internet within 30 days, once your software has been activated on your computer, it won’t need to contact our Steinberg Licensing server again for the purposes of activation. Second, we have decided to increase the maximum number of activations from two to three computers per single-user license.

I think that will bring more sales.

• Like 2

I was just bemoaning the fact that I couldn't use Halion 6 for some Christmas shows simply because of the licensing issues.  In reading up on it I saw that once you move a license (currently) from a softlicense to the USB eLicenser, you can never go back - inexcusably ridiculous and goes beyond copyright security IMO.  I had resolved to no longer invest in Steinberg products.  However, this is welcome, may change my mind, and is certainly overdue!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

I was just bemoaning the fact that I couldn't use Halion 6 for some Christmas shows simply because of the licensing issues.  In reading up on it I saw that once you move a license (currently) from a softlicense to the USB eLicenser, you can never go back - inexcusably ridiculous and goes beyond copyright security IMO.  I had resolved to no longer invest in Steinberg products.  However, this is welcome, may change my mind, and is certainly overdue!

all my steing licenses are on the usb licenser.

• Like 1

This is much better, the phone home every 30 days thing, wtf? I think there are more people using mainly offline DAW's than these DAW makers realize. By mainly offline, I mean only connecting to the internet to authorize and then that's it.

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

This is much better, the phone home every 30 days thing, wtf? I think there are more people using mainly offline DAW's than these DAW makers realize. By mainly offline, I mean only connecting to the internet to authorize and then that's it.

Agreed, it's definitely better. Although there's clowns like iLok that use an always on connection for their cloud activations, so you need to be connected everytime you use the plugins!

Hopefully they pay attention too 🤣

They do offer dongles and machine activations (for some plugins), but anything that has a requirement for ALWAYS having an internet connection is bound to cause problems sooner or later.