Strange Random Frequency or Phase Issue (AD)

Hello All--

This one is kind of bugging me. I'm on my 2nd project using Addictive Drums. I usually use kontakt, but I needed a retro 80s sounding synth drum. 

Sometimes when I start playing a track, the snare sounds fine--the way I want. Sometimes it sounds muffled, like the frequency is off, or maybe a snare is out of phase. It is random, and happens about 50% of the time.

I've determined it's the delay--as I bypass it and all is well.. The delay is new to me. It's iZotope Dynamic Delay. I have the time set to 58.8 ms and is synced to the host (which I would think would make the delay the exact same each time I play the track). When I turn the sync off--there is no improvement.

Here's my setup. Drums are still in MIDI/Audio format on two tracks. The audio track out goes to a  clean stereo bus, which goes to the master (hardware) out. Also, on the audio track I have a send going to another bus that has a bus compressor and a delay inserted into it. (compressor --> delay) That bus then goes to the master (hardware) out.

I've got other delays I can use if this one doesn't cooperate. I just didn't want to throw in  the towel on it until I see that it isn't fixable.

Thanks all!

Edited by razor7music

Strange indeed Razor.

Could be such a fast delay time its over lapping and throwing the signal out of phase ?

It would be impossible to alleviate this unless you found out the true offenders (since its only happening 50% of the time).

Stereo Delay correct  ? Make sure the Signal is dry before running it through the Delay (if AD has a preset reverb/delay)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Strange indeed Razor.

Could be such a fast delay time its over lapping and throwing the signal out of phase ?

It would be impossible to alleviate this unless you found out the true offenders (since its only happening 50% of the time).

Stereo Delay correct  ? Make sure the Signal is dry before running it through the Delay (if AD has a preset reverb/delay)

Yeah, I thought about that and I have AD set at dry. Just strange...it's as if the delay "cycle" keeps going when the track isn't playing.

7 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Have you tried freezing the tracks to see if it clears up? Frozen tracks sometimes perform better/differently than nonfrozen tracks.

Yeah, I'm going to try that to check it, but I'm still early in the editing stage so I'll still need to tweak stuff--but better see if it's going to work now, right?

I've use iZotope Dynamic Delay, when hooked to the hosts tempo, and using changes to the tempo map, you can get some weird artifacts. You could try what I do, that is

put the delay on a separate bus/aux track  and set the dry to 0% the wet to 100%, and on the track where you want the delay use a send to the DDLs  track... It's a thought...

3 minutes ago, Tez said:

I've use iZotope Dynamic Delay, when hooked to the hosts tempo, and using changes to the tempo map, you can get some weird artifacts. You could try what I do, that is

put the delay on a separate bus/aux track  and set the dry to 0% the wet to 100%, and on the track where you want the delay use a send to the DDLs  track... It's a thought...

Hello

The DDL is in a separate bus and my drum track is using a send. I'll try the 0/100 dry/wet and see if that helps.

Anytime I hear the word artifacts, I run the other way! So, I'm thinking of getting my plan B dialed up.

I have an update. I tried using Replika as a delay instead and I had the same issue. As I was listening to the track without any delay--it happened again--which means it wasn't the delay to begin with. I just hadn't tested it enough times without the delay to have it randomly occur again. Something is going on with AD and sending to a bus with compression and then combining the two bus' outputs.

I froze the drum track for now and it doesn't seem to happen--even though the frozen track is still routing a send to the same bus that has a bus compressor on it. It's puzzling for sure. More tests to single out the cause, because ultimately it will be unusable if I can't get the crisp EQ I need 100% of the time--certainly during the final mixing.