Snare is D3
HH is A#3
HH Pedal is G#3
Cymbal 1 is C#4
Tom 1 is C4
Tom 2 is A3
Cymbal 2 is D#4
Tom 3 is G3

These do not seem to correspond perfectly with my various kits.

Does anyone know how I can use Cakewalk to reassign the midi note for each drum, footpedal, cymbal so they align with the sound in the software kit I want?

Edited by RexRed

10 minutes ago, scook said:

The notes may be remapped either

• in the drum controller
  • in software between the drum controller and the DAW such as MIDI-OX or 
  • in the DAW with

Thank you SCOOK for your fast response.

I am really liking the drum map method from what I can tell, I still need to test it out. It takes a bit of getting oriented to it but it seems like once I get familiar with it I can route each drum controller's midi exactly where I want it.

I don't see Alesis turbo drum module listed as a preset but ther are only 9 controllers. It should not be too much effort to enter them in manually and then save the preset. 

This information is very useful!

Much appreciated for the help! 

Yeah, most drum plug-ins have their own mapping tools which are often easier to setup than drum maps in CbB.

That said, if I did the mapping in a plug-in that did not properly display in the PRV such as AD2, I would extend master.ins to handle the display.

I created an AD2.ins for the default instrument layout. It is available here.

I also built ins files for SI-Drums and SD3. 

All are in the Instrument Definitions section of this forum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I use the nitro mesh with AD2.  I did the mapping in AD2 itself.

I am up to my neck in trying to figure out a solution. Your options give me hope but I am still swiming in complexity.

I don't think the "turbo" mesh has a way to change the drum note numbers within itself.

The control module seems rather limited.

I use a lot of AD2 kits and I also use NI kits and a ton of others, Dimension Pro has a few nice ones too

It is just 9 drum controllers but I have not figured out a way to reroute them yet. MIDI-OX is complex also. 

Maybe if i can find one kit that works right with the Turbo mesh I can use that to record then drag the midi around for other kits.

Edited by RexRed

When I insert a soft synth drum kit and play the Turbo Mesh drums the drums are all mapped to the wrong sounds.

I wonder if i were to fix this problem if ther might also be velosity problems where certain drum sounds are too quiet i.e. cymbals, HH.

I kinda expected with general midi for this to work better but I have not found a kit that works yet.

When I open MIDI-OX I get this really fast stream of events coming from the Turbo Mesh "timing clock" I have not fugured out what this is or how to filter that out so I can isolate other parameters.  

I am not sure if Cakewalk will work with MIDI-OX they seem to have sharing issues. 

Whatever method you choose forget about musical notation and work with MIDI note numbers.

MIDI musical notation is not standardized, MIDI note numbers on the other hand are constant.

IOW note number 35 is note number 35 in the hardware and all the software.

What note 35 represents in musical notation could be one of several values.

If you cannot change the hardware, just record the values in CbB and build the map after recording the data. The map building tool in AD2 is pretty easy but the one in CbB while a little clumsy is a one and done thing (at least for the default AD2 settings). 

AD2 also has the ability to use its default mapping or GM. If the Alesis is sending GM try changing the AD2 setting.

The AD2 map tool is the first option under the ? at the top right of the plug-in UI/

• Like 1

BD is C3    36
Snare is D3    38
HH is A#3    46
HH Pedal is G#3    44
Cymbal 1 is C#4    49
Tom 1 is C4    48
Tom 2 is A3    45
Cymbal 2 is D#4    51
Tom 3 is G3    43

This is what I have, When I record each drum in Cakewalk these are the corresponding  note numbers.

I think they are all coming across on channel 10

If they each had different channels my problems would be sort of solved (i think). 

Edited by RexRed

MIDI standard channel for drums is 10.

I expect hardware to follow the standard.

Most drum plug-ins ignore the channel assignment.

Unfortunately, most plug-ins do not default to the MIDI standard at all.

Try switching the AD2 map in the plug-in UI to General MIDI

• Click the ? in the upper right of the plug-in UI
  • Open Map Window...
  • In the upper left of the Map Window change the Map Preset drop down to GM
  • Click on OK.

• Like 1

I think I have figured out a workaround.

I used the drum map manager.

I can input the current note number values and then input new note number values.

It routes them to new drum notes. It is working!

It is rather complex because I need to open two identical synth kits so I can figure out what I want to change the values to but it does indeed reroute the drum controller note values to other values. Thanks for the help!

Now that I have them routed maybe it will work across other kits.

It would have been easier being able to change the note values directly from the controlleer drum module.

I will call Sweeetwater or Alesis tomorrow and see if the note values can be changed. 

I assume if I can change patches for each drum within the module maybe there is a 1-128 bank of blank patches too.

Or maybe a user bank that can be reassigned.  

I will try that with the GMIDI switch for AD2 also SCook!

Edited by RexRed

Drum maps exist in the project.

Drum map presets exist on disk.

Drum map presets are saved by giving them a name in the Presets entry and clicking the save icon.

Ohhh I see!!! THANKS!

Edited by RexRed

40 minutes ago, scook said:

MIDI standard channel for drums is 10.

I expect hardware to follow the standard.

Most drum plug-ins ignore the channel assignment.

Unfortunately, most plug-ins do not default to the MIDI standard at all.

Try switching the AD2 map in the plug-in UI to General MIDI

• Click the ? in the upper right of the plug-in UI
  • Open Map Window...
  • In the upper left of the Map Window change the Map Preset drop down to GM
  • Click on OK.

This worked too!!! Really great tip!!!

Yeah, as I mentioned above a lot of drum plug-ins do not bother to follow the MIDI standard.

TTS-1, a GM synth, will play the Alesis right out of the box.

Other plug-ins will either need their config altered in the plug-in or using one of the other mapping methods.

• Like 1

There has got to be a way to change the note numbers for these drum controllers within the device itself.

I figure if I can find a basic kit that works, I can lay down the midi then change/edit it afterwards.

The drum pedal is not like the Nitro it is a switch, on or off no velocity sensitivity. So, every time I hit it, it is like full blast.

The high-hat I can't even hear hardly at all, and the cymbals are quiet too.

For 100 dollars more I could have gotten something with a velocity sensitive kick and more editing capabilities on the controllers.

I will have to make this work for now, I already threw away the boxes.

Edited by RexRed