Free Cakewalk article series from MusicTech and Scott R. Garrigus

Scott R. Garrigus

BandLab hosts a user base of 40 million creators globally and the recently announced acquisition of artist services platform ReverbNation. 

https://caldecottmusic.com/press/9859-introducing-caldecott-music-group

Caldecott Music Group introduced as new company brand of BandLab Technologies, NME Networks, and Vista Musical Instruments

I imagine that some of those 40 million BandLab users will eventually decide to take Cakewalk by BandLab for a spin. Judging by many of the questions posted in the Cakewalk forums by new users these days, the wave has already begun. :)

Edited by abacab

6 minutes ago, Scott R. Garrigus said:

I'm pretty sure it's because the book is out-of-print and you can't get it any longer.

That's quite likely true, but is it also demand driven by the now free Cakewalk by BandLab and first time DAW users seeking answers?

There are some good YouTube videos for Cakewalk out there, but IMO those only supplement a good printed guide when you are trying to learn a specific technique.

But Cakewalk's PDF reference guide is now an unholy 1880 pages! 🤪

Fine when you know what you are looking for! But for getting started?

• Like 1

As a long time user of Cakewalk, I always wanted a Sonar Power book. Then one year I suggested it as a Christmas gift, and I got it. Little did I know at the time it would be the last one: X3. And now it's worth 4 or 5 times as much, if only my other investments did as well!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

No. I had these from Sonr 2 to 5.  They took up space.  I had 2 copies of Sonar 2 Power.

Ah! I see! I binned all the old ones from before the X-series, except for Sonar 8. which I kept for nostalgia for the pre-Skylight GUI. And if I ever had reason to install one of the old versions. Still have some old disks, LOL!

I got Sonar X3 Power on E-book. Takes up very little disk space! :)

Edited by abacab

On 12/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, abacab said:

And I forgot to mention that I also have the Sonar X3 Power in the Adobe Digital Editions formatted E-Book.

Much prefer that to the paper books! Easier to find topics with the direct linked TOC and index. However doesn't look quite as cool as sitting on the bookshelf...

I forgot all about Adobe Digital Editions...

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, kevin H said:

May I suggest an expose about this deals forum that is so juicy that will definitely get picked up by Netflix for a limited series.  There is mystery, intrigue, drama surrounding certain threads like IK group buy, and maybe murder(?) [okay maybe just my over EQ’ed mixes haha].

Thanks for the articles…

I'll try to thrown in some murder mystery elements into the upcoming installments. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scott R. Garrigus said:

any specific topics you might like to see covered in future articles

Articulations

I had one of Scotts Sonar Power books and read it cover to cover, kept it by my keyboard and mouse for years. Very useful book. Well written. I was able to understand what he was telling me. But most importantly I was able to use this info to branch out further. I have long since retired it in favor of CW's own Reference Guide. But that Reference Guide is nowhere near as useful as Scott's book was. 

Looking to the future!

Merry Christmas too.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

Hi Scott,

I bought at least one of your Sonar Power books over the years.   I think I still have my last one somewhere in my garage.  Didn't know until I read this thread that the value improves with age like fine wine...😀

Not sure who holds the copyright to the writing in the book - you or the publisher - but if it is you, you may wish to update and issue as a pdf.  See what Craig Anderton is doing with his book pdfs for Studio One on Presonus's and Sweetwater's sites.   Listening to his interview with Mitch Gallagher at Sweetwater, it seems like these are selling relatively well.

In any case, if you updated the one for Cakewalk and sold at a similar price point ($19.99), I expect you would have some takers.  As Grem above says, your book was much more useful than the manual.

Not sure if it is worth for you, but just a thought.

Sorry to hear that you had a tough year.

All the best,

urock

• Like 2