Importing Midis with right timing, but wrong tempo data

Ansgar Schaefer

Question

I have recorded serveral midi-files, using piano-teq. The version of Piano-Teq that I use doesn't specify the bpm in the midi, so the tempo in the .midi is set to 120 bpm and 4/4 measures. The song that I recorded however is played at 138 bpm. 

If I open the song in Cakewalk, it automatically assumes that the tempo is 120 bpm. If I then change the tempo of the project, the midi is way too fast (of course). How can I tell Cakewalk to either not use the (wrong) tempo-information in the imported midi, or alternatively change the project tempo to 138 bpm without affecting the already importet .midi track? 

Greetings, 
Ansgar

5 answers to this question

Do not create a project then use File > Open.

Instead use File > Open to

• Open the MIDI file. If no MIDI output devices are selected in preferences, TTS-1 will automatically be setup to use the MIDI file. Regardless of the MIDI output preferences, no buses are created so it may be desirable to
    • Add a bus, 
    • Right-click the bus header and
    • Select "Set as Default Bus" and
    • Rename the bus to Master.
    • If TTS-1 was added to the project, change the TTS-1 audio track to the bus.
  • Save the MIDI file as a Cakewalk project 

Now the MIDI file is ready to be used as a regular Cakewalk project.

On 12/15/2021 at 12:30 AM, scook said:

Do not create a project then use File > Open.

Instead use File > Open to

• Open the MIDI file. If no MIDI output devices are selected in preferences, TTS-1 will automatically be setup to use the MIDI file. Regardless of the MIDI output preferences, no buses are created so it may be desirable to
    • Add a bus, 
    • Right-click the bus header and
    • Select "Set as Default Bus" and
    • Rename the bus to Master.
    • If TTS-1 was added to the project, change the TTS-1 audio track to the bus.
  • Save the MIDI file as a Cakewalk project 

Now the MIDI file is ready to be used as a regular Cakewalk project.

So I opened cakewalk without creating / opening a project. Then File-> open opening a .midi file. 
A new Window opens with the midi File, and the global bpm of Cakewalk is set to 120 bpm. I can play the midi using the play button (and it plays with the instrument I have specified in the preferences for midis). I can safe it as a project, but no matter what I do, when I try to change the 120 bpm of the project to the "right" 138 bpm, the midi is accellerated as well. 

Try this (from a post @David Baay made on the old website)

1. Drag the clip to align the first event wherever it should be in the timeline.

2. If that time is not 1:01:000, use Set Measure/Beat At Now (was Ctrl-M for 4 years before X1 - don't remember what they've changed it too ) to "pin" that first beat so that becomes the reference point for determining tempo.

3. Count out several measures listening to the clip (or go to the last event if the clip is short) set the Now time at the beginning of that event by tabbing to it, and use Ctrl-M (or whatever the new hotkey is) again to set the correct measure and beat in the timeline to the absolute time of that event.

4.SONAR will alter the tempo at the first point you pinned to make the timeline match the clip without altering the clip, and add a like tempo value to the beat you set as a refvererence for setting subsequent beats.

5. If the clip was recorded to a click, and/or was quantized, that may be all you need to do; if not, you can set additional beats every few measures or every measure, or even within measures or beats (note that beats are divided into thousandths, not 960 ticks, so 02:480 is 02.500).

6. If the clip didn't start at 1:01:000, go to the tempo view, and change the tempo at 1:01:000 to match the first tempo SONAR inserted.

That's about it. For a very long clip, I recommend setting the first point at 8 measures or so, then seeing what beat the last event should fall on, undo the 8-meausre set point, and set that last event to establish an overall average tempo, and roughly align the whole clip so that it's easy to see what beats other events should fall on in the middle of the clip, and decided how many you need to snap to tighten up the timleine match. Setting the first 8 measures is just an interim step to figure out how long the clip is without listening and counting 100+ measures or whatever it is.