key change for a few bars

John Balich

i used "insert meter /key change" It works perfectly............until the new key doesn't 'hold"

example..........im writing a piece in Ab. I decide to transpose it up to C. the new key "C" will stay in effect and then after a random number of bars the piece automatically reverts to Ab. sometimes after one bar, sometimes after 6 or 8 in order to keep the new key i have to scroll through the piece and remove one at a time, every unwanted "automatic" key change

Edited by John Balich

i think we are misunderstanding each other. this morning i opened a piece i have been working on in the key of "A Major" ..........I decide i preferred the sound of the key of "Bb"................i did the transposition and wanted to change the notation key to agree with the new key.  The written key changed, but only for a few bars at which time the notation reverted to "A".......i  changed that Back to Bb...........a few bars later the notation reverted to A. i chnage that to Bb......................it held for a few bars and the notation reverted to A.......I changed that to Bb................a few bars late (sometimes one bar sometimes other random number of bars) the key signature reverts to A. the only cure i know of is to keep changing notation from A to Bb throughout the piece.

to repeat, the transposition works fine. changing the written key to agree with the transposition is where i am having a problem. I am not talking about playback...just a notational problem.
 This phenomenon is not related to cutting and pasting.

Edited by John Balich

When you look at Views > Meter/Key, does it show a Key Change where you don't want it to change?  If so, can you remove it?

PS: I just did a test using copy special and paste special with the Meter/Key option selected.  The Meter/Key change showed up both on the staff and in the Meter/Key list.  

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add a PD; (1) to add "where you don't want it to change"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

When you look at Views > Meter/Key, does it show a Key Change where you don't want it to change?  If so, can you remove it?

This ^^^

The Key Signature should not change without a Key Change being inserted somehow.

Maybe they are already in a template you are using.