OTS Vintage Gent Released

cclarry

We're excited to present Evolution Vintage Gent, the newest addition to our Evolution series. The sample library features an exquisite mid '60s hollowbody electric guitar. One of the iconic sounds from the British Invasion, the model of guitar we sampled was originally a collaborative design by Gretsch and Chet Atkins--legendary guitarist, record producer, and pioneer of the Nashville Sound.

Evolution Vintage Gent is normally $179 USD, but until January 1st you can pick up your copy at an introductory discount of $139.

Use the link below to watch the walkthrough video, listen to audio demos, and get all the tech specs.

$139 intro price

• Like 5

What guitar and bass would you most like to see as Orange Tree Samples next library?

I've been begging OTS for a Hofner violin bass for forever!!! I picked up IK's  Modo, which has a very nice modeled Hofner, but it still falls short of the realism of an OTS library, and I always end up replacing it with OTS's Evolution Flatwound Bass's James Jameson patch (McCartney modeled his tone and style after Jameson). Although,  I've always acknowledged that my request for  the bass has been personal, and not the result of any research. Is anyone else with me?

And yes, I'm a huge Beatles fan (big Zeppelin and Radiohead fan too) that loves the sound of their gear (hence  why the guitar they just released reminded me).  The other guitar instrument I'd love as an Evolution library is a Dobro. Anyone else who agrees or has something different they'd love to see in the near future?

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Okay, I just went through all the presets for the first time and I absolutely love this library! It's a contender for my second favorite electric guitar library (I'd put the Les Paul Evolution Rock Standard as my absolute favorite and Strawberry or the Archtop as my second favorites). 

• Like 1

I wonder,  how many other Evolution  library owners use presets more than guitar amp sims when using the libraries? I find it's a blast to use with guitar amp sims, but most of the time I  can find a preset that suits my needs and look at it  like I'm saving computer resources by not adding additional VST effects. 

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Any comparisons to NI's Picked Acoustic? 

If you're comparing one of Orange Tree Samples acoustic guitar libraries to NI's Picked Acoustic or any of the Session Guitarist (SG) libraries,  the significant difference is that SG libraries are collections of loops. They don't have the level of detailed samples and ingenious scripting that Evolution has so, for example,  when you go beyond the pre-recorded loops in the Native Instrumentslibrary, you're not going to get the same level of realism (I don't own Picked Acoustic,  but have the acoustics and electric Session Guitarist libraries that come with KOMPLETE). I think the Session Guitarist libraries are fun for what they are, collections of loops with some additional  single note samples, but they're primary strengths are the strummed recorded loops, not the individual notes and scripts for playing those notes, IMO. 

If you want a library where you are able to play any notes or strums you want -- one that isn't confined to a collection of prerecorded patterns that once you go through,  that's it -- Evolution is the clear winner. If you're happy with someone else's set of a few dozen set of patterns and are okay with using pre-recorded loops so that your songs guitar strums will sound just like everyone else's songs and don't ever plan to go beyond those few dozen patterns, than you may be happy with Session Guitarist. If you want something where you can play any pattern in your head with incredible realism,  Evolution is the clear winner. 

Now for the caveats. I  advise Orange Tree Samples, including on the Evolution line in the areas of product naming, branding and promotion.  I'm friends with the owner. Greg Schlaepfer. I'm also friends with another guitar sample library developer and own other guitar sample libraries who I've given some consulting advice years ago. I've  been using sampled guitar libraries since the 80s. So feel free to have some skepticism with anything I write.  I'm a very sincere and straightforward person,  but I completely respect skepticism for affiliated individuals giving opinions, I would strongly recommend maintaining that skepticism,  particularly towards YouTuber self-proclaimed reviewers of sample libraries and plug-ins who actually are making money from promoting libraries they're claiming to give unbiased reviews of. My consulting is strategic and tactical and the agreement is that I am allowed to freely give my honest opinions publicly. I've consulted to developers of other libraries and plug-ins and you won't find me sharing my opinions on those and frankly that's because I  find Orange Tree Samples have been such an enormous innovation in the sample library field. The combination of detailed samples and ingenious scripting literally was a game changer in the sample library world. The only competitor I'd even find coming close in terms of the levels of realism and scripting today is Ample Sounds out of China,  which doesn't use KONTAKT but their own proprietary plug-in.