New Tempo Track UI: What do people think?

Hi Jeremy Murray-Wakefield, I feel Tempo Track is nice feature and improved the workflow with Tempo Map!

The only thing it could be improved, imo, is to keep the zoom size, as a starting point, when changing its proportion via Tempo Scale. That's because when tweaking with Tempo Scale zoom will always start from zero, i.g., from its wider size.

Also I'm having an issue when trying to change Tempo Map by a half using Offset Tempo Map, but it seems it won't change nodes location (i.g., their position on Time Ruler). Maybe I'm missing something?
In an example I have an audio clip and I want tempo to go slower but keeping the same beat (and the same Tempo Map). Like when we have a quarter note measure but will count tempo with half notes. 
Could this be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mgustavo

It seems to work fine for me. Here is a (demo) tempo map with a lot of variations in it. Take a close look at the time ruler:

image.thumb.png.e2700ca6f331a96b59a5858c3d4afd3c.png

Now I offset tempo to go at half speed:

image.png.5db416d258f65acafd820706f4156d51.png

- and look at the result:

image.thumb.png.51974cfc2bde6e46253f07ec14ace16d.png

- as you can see, all of the tempo values are halved, and if you look at the ruler, you can clearly see that it takes twice the time to get to the same beats as before.

Rgds,
J.

• Like 2

Yes, you're right! I've just enabled SMPTE mode on Time Ruler and it's showing correctly. 
Thanks!

But still happens that Tempo Map will get longer than audio clip, so I'll lose subtle changes, despite overall tempo will be ok.
Also MIDI clip will follow new Tempo Map size, but will be half velocity. So I'll change MIDI clip to follow audio music, but again Tempo Map will be longer.
Sorry for my insistence with this issue, but I'm not getting the point. 🙁

I guess I was expecting Tempo Map to behave like Locked Markers, which I use when I want to change tempo without losing SMPTE positions.

Edited by mgustavo

@Jeremy Murray-Wakefield - The time line scale is always displayed in musical time.  Even though you can display tempo entries as SMTPE time, the tempo entries are actually always stored in musical time.

The tempo itself, directly affects SMPTE time - in fact SMPTE times and sample times are actually calculated from the tempo map.

As MIDI notes are musical time based, MIDI clips will change size with the timeline as the tempo changes.  So a 4 measure MIDI clip remains a 4 measure MIDI clip regardless of tempo. As audio clips are absolute time based, they will change size as the effective time in absolute time changes for each measure.

So, as an example if you record an clip that is 4 seconds long.   At 120 bpm, this will be shown as a exactly 2 measures long in the timeline.   At 60bpm, it will be shown as exactly 1 measure long.

• Thanks 1

I love the current tempo map and consider it a huge improvement over the old format. My projects often look a lot like Jeremy's example above, with many tempo changes that are precisely aligned with specific transitions.

The only way I can think of to possibly improve on it would be to make it transparent and moveable, so that it could be overlaid atop any track or automation lane. But I'm quite content with the way it works now.

Hi Jeremy, I see that Offset Tempo Map is working as expected, but if it will sound  stretched that's not what I was aiming to.
Maybe Production Techniques forum will be more appropriate for this issue. 🤔

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by mgustavo

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've been having an issue with Tempo Track, I guess it's already known!
It happens when inserting a new tempo by double clicking on Tempo Track, sometimes a weird line will cross the space connecting the new node with another one, maybe from a similar height. It will produce more than one Tempo line.

Unfortunately it's more frequent nowadays - maybe this frequency could be related to the recent update?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mgustavo

2 hours ago, mgustavo said:

Hi, I've been having an issue with Tempo Track, I guess it's already known!
It happens when inserting a new tempo by double clicking on Tempo Track, sometimes a weird line will cross the space connecting the new node with another one, maybe from a similar height. It will produce more than one Tempo line.

Unfortunately it's more frequent nowadays - maybe this frequency could be related to the recent update?

Thanks in advance!

There is no need to double click - a single click is enough.

What I suspect is happening, is you are moving the mouse slightly between the two clicks and depending on your snap settings, it's creating two nodes on a different snap point.

• Like 1