What is the bitness of Sonitus plugins?

Vyacheslav

9 hours ago, Czeslaw said:

Thanks! About VST - this is an important remark.

I don't understand why this information is not in the Help.

Sonitus is a quite old and legacy Cakewalk FX suite, and DX (DirectX) is mentioned in a 2016 knowledge base article here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013067/Overview-of-the-Sonitusfx-suite

If you are using SONAR Studio Edition, previous versions of SONAR, or other Cakewalk products that support DirectX effects

Sonitus FX will also be recognized in another DAW, such as Reaper, that recognizes DX plugins.

• Thanks 1

I've been flipping bits since 1973, and this is the first time I've heard the term "bitness". A good word, though, as I instantly knew what it meant.

I use "wordlength" when talking to techies, "bit depth" when talking to musicians and audio engineers.

btw, whether or not a plugin is 64-bit is a flag (isX64) in the registry, along with other flags to indicate whether it's a VST, VST3, ARA-compatible, or a synth. Also the number of inputs and outputs and a whole bunch of other stuff I've yet to decipher, 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Do 64 bit Sonitus install with Cakewalk Core installer? ALL my Sonitus plugins are 32 bit even after running the Platinum installer for 64 bit.

My Plugin Manager lists 2 sets of Sonitus:

DX > Sonitus xxx     C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins\SonitusFXxxx.dll

Loads in CbB with 2 single dots (32 bit stereo).

VST > Sonitus:fx xxx     c:\program files\cakewalk\32 bit plugins\dxshell.dll   (path does not exist)

Loads in CbB (dead) with 2 single dots (32 bit stereo).

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

Do 64 bit Sonitus install with Cakewalk Core installer? ALL my Sonitus plugins are 32 bit even after running the Platinum installer for 64 bit.

My Plugin Manager lists 2 sets of Sonitus:

DX > Sonitus xxx     C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Plugins\SonitusFXxxx.dll

Loads in CbB with 2 single dots (32 bit stereo).

VST > Sonitus:fx xxx     c:\program files\cakewalk\32 bit plugins\dxshell.dll   (path does not exist)

Loads in CbB (dead) with 2 single dots (32 bit stereo).

The current Sonitus plugs should be 64-bit DX, in your 64-bit Program Files path.

The 2-pins (dots as you call them) vs. 4-pins appearance depends on whether you have the Cakewalk mixing engine set to 64-bit precision or not, and does not determine the "bitness" of the plugin itself.

See scooks link above for the details.

Edited by abacab

Thanks guys, but I'm confused about the link then. I see nothing there to determine bitness.

VSTs are color coded in the Insert menu (32=green, 64=yellow) but DXs are always gray.

The link did explain why some Sonitus plugs cause audio drops, tho.

Edited by sjoens

Plug-in menu colors are determined by the theme.

Note, my original reply to bitness above refers to how the plug-ins communicate with the DAW. 

Here is the image from the link in my post showing a stereo plug-in using a 64bit data path to the 64bit double-precision engine. 

Mixing.27.7.png

If the plug-in only supports a 32bit data path when running the 64bit DPE it would look like

Mixing.27.5.png

This is true in 32bit or 64bit SONAR and 64bit CbB. Note, all these DAWs have a 64bit DPE option.

This has nothing to do with whether the plug-in is compiled as a 32bit or 64bit, VST or DX format. 

30 minutes ago, scook said:

This has nothing to do with whether the plug-in is compiled as a 32bit or 64bit, VST or DX format. 

Guess I'm confused as I thought that was the OP's question & your initial reply.

40 minutes ago, scook said:

Plug-in menu colors are determined by the theme.

True for the Browser but the FX Bin right-click flyout ("insert menu") is fixed TMK.