Why No Virtual Acoustic or Electric Guitar?

Jim Fogle

Some versions of SONAR included AAS Strum Session, Dimension Pro had some guitar programs (some were included in Cakewalk Sound Center), so did Rapture and Rapture Session probably did too, I can't say for sure as I have Rapture Pro with definitely has guitar programs.

• Thanks 1

When Cakewalk Sonar was a paid DAW program the added instrument bundles were always an incentive to purchase or upgrade to the latest edition.

But now the focus is on making the free core DAW as good as it can be.

Not to mention that free or cheap instruments are a dime a dozen now, literally. Have you checked out the free Ample acoustic guitar? It's excellent! Ample Guitar M Lite II aim to bring the Martin D-41 Acoustic Guitar sound to your studio. https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/4520-Ample-Guitar-M-Lite-II

Here's a list to check out: https://output.com/blog/best-free-guitar-vst-plugins

Edited by abacab
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@steve@baselines.com,  Thank you for your response.  The current version of Cakewalk by Bandlab does not include an amp sim.

@scook, Thanks for responding.  The applications you mention are kind of before my time.  I use to have Sound Center with Music Creator but removed MC from my computer.

@abacab, Thank you for your thoughts.  I have Amplesound's free acoustic Martin and Fender electric bass.  Both are extraordinary instruments considering they are free.  I imagine the paid, full featured virtual instruments are outstanding.  The free Spicy Guitar virtual instrument has some interesting sounds.

@User 905133, Thank you for the link and your response.  Swatches is new to me.

I appreciate all the responses.  I'm not looking for third party guitar plug-ins as I have several.  I was more thinking out loud and wondering why no DAWs that I know of include virtual guitars since guitar is so prevalent in western pop music.

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

I'm not looking for third party guitar plug-ins as I have several.  I was more thinking out loud and wondering why no DAWs that I know of include virtual guitars since guitar is so prevalent in western pop music.

I guess that I missed that you were looking at DAWs in general. Thought you were referring to Cakewalk.

When you say no DAWs include guitars, which ones have you looked at?

I have PreSonus Studio One 5 Pro and their included Presence XT sampler is chock full of guitars (each of these categories has multiple instruments):

https://www.presonus.com/products/Presence-XT-Complete-Core-Instruments/features

• Les Paul
  • Nylon
  • Steel String
  • Stratocaster
  • Telecaster
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scook said:

My guess is most DAWs have a sample-based synth with guitar samples.

True, which is also the case with Ableton Live, although the guitar samples they include with their instrument rack and sampler are probably more suitable for electronic music. But with the integrated sampler in Live, one could import any guitar samples they wish.

Going back to the OP, I will submit the distinction that the connotation of "virtual guitar" speaks to a more elaborate instrument than just a sampler with guitar samples. Although with a bit of effort, one could make that work. I have several 3rd party virtual guitars and they all offer much more than pure sample playback for realism, such as keyswitches and modulations, to easily trigger different guitar articulations from within a single preset. This allows a keyboardist to sound a bit more like a guitar player.

IMHO, such purpose built virtual guitar instruments are a premium product and not likely to be bundled with any DAW, as the necessary bundle price would push it beyond the cost anyone would be willing to pay for a DAW. I would suggest that premium and boutique instruments have generally always been ala carte 3rd party choices. For example, just look at the success Native Instruments has had with their sample based instruments!

• Like 3

As already stated, most DAWs have some form of guitar preset but are generally more suited for electronic music rather than quality guitar emulation. I think this is because to truly get a convincing guitar sound takes either very innovative modeling ( like IK's MODO bass or AAS strum session) or heavy sampling and advanced articulations like Kontakt. The expense is probably not worth it.  Oddly enough, Maschine may offer the best non-third-party guitar since it includes Komplete Select. The factory guitars are not bad that come with Kontakt player.  Also, several DAWs have given away decent guitar plugs via third party. Cakewalk used to give away strum session and Presonus gave away Sparkle.   I think overall, developing a guitar plugin pleasing to actual guitarists is more challenging than developing workhorse synths and romplers.

• Like 1

As abacab eluded to, If I developed a truly quality guitar plug that was more than simply a collection of samples, I would sell as a premium product. This is exactly what native instruments does. You receive ok guitars free but for as low as $50 (often on sale for half) you can have a session guitarist instrument that works in free player. 

• Like 1

As a guitarist, I've never been able to get on with any guitar VSTs, no matter how good they are; they just sound 'wrong' to me.

Playing a guitar via a piano keyboard is so unintuitive, I can't seem to get my brain to do the learning required to get the articulations and patterns that I can achieve almost sub-consciously with my hands on the strings.

Probably just me though and no reflection on some of the premium VSTs, which are exceptional and can create some very realistic tones in the right hands.

Andy

• Like 2

@abacab, thanks for the information about PreSonusPro, the Presence XT sampler and the Core sample package.  I'm surprised I wasn't aware of this since Studio One is my brother's DAW of choice.

I see the guitars are part of the Core sample package.  However, this instrument package is not included with the Artist edition but it is included with the subscription version of Studio One or the $399 retail Pro edition.  Since the Presence XT sampler is available in all editions it might would be cheaper to get the Studio One Artist edition and then purchase the acoustic guitar and electric guitars sample packages separately. 

Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

• Like 1