Dim Solo Not Working

Tommy Byrnes

3 hours ago, Jeremy Murray-Wakefield said:

I'm on the latest non-early version: 2021.11 of Cakewalk and it's working fine here.

You've not said how it isn't working.

When the DIM button is pressed in the Mix Panel and you solo a track, what happens? Does it behave like regular solo, or do the solo buttons on tracks have no effect whatsoever?

You know, I'm not sure how  long as I don't really use it. I thought it would come in handy working on percussion parts of a mix the other day and when I pressed it and soloed a track nothing happens. Exclusive solo works fine and so does regular solo. It's not a usual part of my workflow so it may have stopped working ages ago and I never noticed it. Weird, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on version 2021.12 build 102.
Dim Solo doesn't work when Patch Point is used.

Here's my test configuration.

Track 1: Audio clip, Output: Master
Track 2: Audio clip, Output: Patch point1
Track3: Input: Patch point1, Output: Master

with DIM on,  When tack1 is soloed, Output from Track3 is NOT dimed.
 Track2 or 3 is soloed, Output from Track1 is dimed.

Thank you!

Can anyone say what should happen with dim solo in that simple case?  When track 1 is soloed, then would track 2 be dimmed as it goes out to the patch point? Then track 3 dimmed also, double-dimming the sound from track 2? How should double-dimming be avoided? And did such attempt to avoid wind up being the source of the no-dimming on track 3? More complex routing would probably have even further hazards.

Oh, I didn't think about "double-dimming".....  Good point. 
When Track1 is soloed probably I would expect Track2 which includes "patch point output" shouldn't be dimmed but Track3 which includes "Patch point input" should be dimmed as other normal track.
Maybe vise versa.
 Just my personal opinion.

On 12/29/2021 at 11:07 PM, Otosan1956 said:

Track 1: Audio clip, Output: Master
Track 2: Audio clip, Output: Patch point1
Track3: Input: Patch point1, Output: Master

If I use BUS instead of Track3 with Patch Point, it works as I expected. 
I would take this way for now.
The only reason I wanted to use above configuration is an intuitive Console layout/ maintainability.
I'm looking forward the improvement in the future release.

• 4 weeks later...

I also just noticed that Dim Solo doesn't work when you have tracks routed to an Aux track. When you click Solo and you have Dim enabled, no volumes are changed, it's just like you didn't engage the Solo button. Without Dim enabled, Solo always seems to work fine.

My test was 2 instrument tracks. I tried all 3 gain levels.

When both tracks are routed to an Aux track (same or separate), Dim Solo stops working for me. When the tracks are routed to the Master or any other bus, Dim Solo works as expected.