Cakewalk Won't Run

HeatherHaze

Today I went to open Cakewalk but it wouldn't run.  I see the logo, I see it start to load in...then it just suddenly and completely exits.  Poof.  I haven't made any drastic changes to my system or VSTs.  Cubase runs perfectly fine.   I have no idea what happened, but I need it resolved ASAP.  Any help?  

Thanks,

Heather

If you've installed anything recently, your redists could have been messed up.  You can install the latest redists by following the instructions here:  

If this doesn't work, try launching Cakewalk with SHIFT held down. This should reset your configuration.

Next think to try is uninstalling/re-installing Cakewalk.  You can use the web installer for re-installation:

If it's still not starting, it could be your Cakewalk registry settings are corrupt. 

In this case:

- Uninstall Cakewalk
- In RegEdit delete the following key:  Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core
   Note:  Do NOT delete the  "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"  key - this will save you having to re-scan your plugins.
- Re-install Cakewalk using the web installer above.

Thank you for the quick reply, Mark.  I tried every step you provided.  Unfortunately, nothing worked.  Cakewalk still won't run.  It looks like it's loading in, then "POOF!"  What's the next step?  Rescan plugins, maybe?  How do I force a rescan? 

Edited by HeatherHaze

15 minutes ago, scook said:

Check the Windows Event log.

Thanks for the reply.  I took your suggestion and found the following error:  

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 27.11.0.18, time stamp: 0x6189a39d
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x2bd748bf
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000007286e
Faulting process id: 0x678
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7eec322044615
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report Id: e95b7b9c-5aa9-4025-947c-49130ad35f49
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

15 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That's listing a stack overflow in ucrtbase.dll is most likely a redist problem.

What version of Cakewalk are you running? Try installing the latest early access release.

Thanks for the reply.  I was running the latest public version.  I took your advice and updated to the latest early access release.  Sadly, it didn't work.  I'm still having the same exact problem.  Ugh!  

UPDATE:   Hallelujah.  After spending the afternoon banging my head against the desk, I've finally made Cakewalk work again.  I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.  I ran the Cakewalk runtime downloader.  I tried the early access version.  I cleaned the registry settings.  I made sure Windows 10 was fully updated.  Finally, after another reinstall, I made some progress.  I managed to get to the setup process, so I let it import settings from a (very) old install of Sonar X2.  That actually got me into the program, but the driver settings were all crazy.  So yet again I uninstalled, deleted the core registry settings, reinstalled...and bingo!  It suddenly and inexplicably worked again.  I had to redo a number of settings, but not as many as I'd feared.  It appears, at least for the moment, that everything is working okay.  I just opened one of my more complex projects and it seems fine.  

I have no idea why this happened.   Lucky I guess?