electric guitar

m21

hi guys. i am looking for some electric guitar around 150-250 $. i have never played electric guitar but got some experience with acoustic. i want to use it with my audio interface and cakewalk. i would love to play songs from linkin park, marylin manson,  bmth, architects, slipknot, sleep token and also do some own stuff. so i want to play some soft ballads and some heavy stuff.  there are some interesting guitars i found online: 

Schecter C-6 Deluxe
Ibanez PGMM21
Epiphone Les Paul Special Satin E1
Epiphone Les Paul Special VE
ESP LTD MH-10 Kit BLK
ESP LTD EC-10 BLK Kit
Ibanez PGMM31

if you know some of them and could say what would fit me the best or you know some other model then tell me for which i should go for. i listened these guitars on yt and i think what sounds the best for me is Epiphone Les Paul Special VE and ESP LTD EC-10 BLK Kit but epiphone is cheaper so it looks more interesting for me. also if you could add some advices about what cable i should look for it'd be cool.

• 4 weeks later...

If there are any music stores in your area check out the models that you're interested in and find one that speaks to you (feels right).
The rest is a couple of plugins and/or pedals and 10,000 hours of practice.
Try to avoid going down the rabbit hole of equipment or plugins - it's too easy to end up spending all your time chasing gear at the expense of mastering your instrument. 

Re: Cables - Monoprice or Musicians Friend Stupid Deal of the Day.  At your stage anything fancy & expensive is a waste of funds.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

I would echo Steven - you need to try them.

I have many Les Paul's (Gibson) and even these differ a lot.

I have never tried a Epiphone Les Paul, but I do have other Epiphone Guitars and in many instances they can be very nearly as good as a Gibson.

Personally I don't think the different styles of music you mention are that important at this stage - making sure you are comfortable using the Guitar is the most important thing  when you start. Then as Steven says "The rest is a couple of plugins and/or pedals and 10,000 hours of practice."!!!!!

After many many years of playing Guitar, I finally designed a Guitar with everything I wanted and built it (with some help from a friendly luthier!) the most important thing for me was the control of tone, so it has a unique switching system - i have posted a picture below

Hope you get sorted - happy to help anytime

Nigel

AdobeStock_222296599 newe.jpg

• Like 1

Yamaha Pacifica range - may be a touch over your price point - but well worth checking out. Back in the day I had a Yamaha AES620 (what a crime that they no longer make it) which was a cracking solid body guitar. Check out some reviews on YouTube - this is my fave UK guitar store and they review loads of guitars. Admittedly, some are the price of your average kidney or other major organ 😉 but they do cover a fair range.  

Good luck with your search and don't dismiss pre-loved guitars - often some real bargains to be had.

Andy

personally did cope with bolt on neck on Gibson style guitar (as ESP LTD 10), trying to get 70's classic rock sound.

i was suprised how a fitting of the neck to the body could make such a difference......just my cents....and a bolt on Gibson style guitar might be great for metal or other genres.    Just 1 opinion / don't shoot

any of the guitars on your list are decent guitars probably,  I would recommend spending 100to200 on a good guitar tech/luthier to do a pro setup incl. fret levelling, nut height adjustment etc.   

Edited by Sheens

• 2 months later...

There are  certainly lot of choices online. Epiphone, SX, Harley Benton, Squier, Reverend, Cort, and many others, all brands with very good beginner offerings. I am partial to Epiphones and Squiers since those are what I started with and they have very well-built guitars based on iconic designs for very reasonable prices. Unlike many folks here I like online shopping for guitars, mostly because for the longest time there weren't many brick and mortar choices available. If you stick to well-respected retailers such as Sweetwater or GC/Musicians Friend or Zzounds the return policies are very liberal. I've shipped back quite a few guitars that didn't make the grade and always ended up with a good one.

Have fun finding your first axe! Mine was a Squier Affinity Strat (circa 1999). I had it for many years and it went through all kinds of mod projects great and small as I learned what tones I liked and what I didn't.  The neck and body on those guitars are usually first rate, so mine were still original when I donated it to a church about two years ago. Loved that guitar.