Staff View Questions

John Ritter

Two questions on staff view.  And I did some searching through preferences and couldn't find my answers.

Question 1: Staff view defaults (weirdly) to a single line horizontal scroll.  I don't see how this is useful to anyone, but to each their own.  Is there a way to make it populate the information vertically like you'd see in normal sheet music?  I use this all the time to remember what I played when I'm overdubbing other tracks and it would be useful if it would populate a regular sheet music page.

Question 2: Is there a way to set the key to avoid all the accidentals on the sheet music?  It would just be cleaner if it did.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

You need to set your key and time signature in the Transport module. 

I found this antique version tutorial video which seems to be all there is.   I do believe nothing has ever changed with staff view, 

https://youtu.be/-nM_Cxk3sM4  

Further digging I also found this.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ6cLFj1Emo

I guess there's never been a big demand for the staff view. There's probably 100 tutorials on "making beats" 

Screenshot (285).png

Edited by John Vere

For question 1:

It's unclear whether you mean showing multiple tracks ( i.e. one per track ),  multiple staffs for a single track, or you mean a single track but set to wrap around.

To pick multiple tracks, select "Pick Tracks" from the staff view "Tracks" menu.

To set the number of staffs, select "Layout" on the staff view "Edit" menu, and pick "Treble/Bass" for both the treble & bass staffs (e.g. for piano )

If you meant for the single track to wrap around, Cakewalk doesn't support this for editing / playback.  It does however support this when printing.   You can use the print preview to get a static view of how it will look when printed.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, msmcleod said:

For question 1:

It's unclear whether you mean showing multiple tracks ( i.e. one per track ),  multiple staffs for a single track, or you mean a single track but set to wrap around.

To pick multiple tracks, select "Pick Tracks" from the staff view "Tracks" menu.

To set the number of staffs, select "Layout" on the staff view "Edit" menu, and pick "Treble/Bass" for both the treble & bass staffs (e.g. for piano )

If you meant for the single track to wrap around, Cakewalk doesn't support this for editing / playback.  It does however support this when printing.   You can use the print preview to get a static view of how it will look when printed.

Yeah, I meant for a single track to wrap around.  I looked everywhere but you've answered my question.  I did find the print preview thing but figured there might be another option for viewing it.  Thanks everyone for the tips.