Input monitoring not working...

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone would know the reason why I can't hear myself in real time through the microphones I have.  I press the input monitoring button but nothing happens. I cant hear anything. I can still record and it captures the audio but I can't myself singing or playing and that makes it a lot harder to record anything decent as I cant get the feedback in real time.

cheers.

Ben

7 minutes ago, martins said:

maybe try another project

It's across all projects... when I turn the input monitoring on I get awful feedback while having the digital in button on my cakewalk ua ex 25 pressed in... I've actually never been able to hear myself or what i'm playing and it's been years. I've simply had to have one ear in the headphones and one ear listening to the instrument or my voice with the headphones slipped off and because the headphones levels need to be high for me to hear the mix I always end up with some of that in my songs because the mic captures the song playing in headphone bit that I have off my other ear!

7 minutes ago, martins said:

what's the output of your track you record on?

it make me think that is maybe a setting on your soundcard  software panel

I've enabled asio driver input monitoring..  but no luck.  which what I think you may be referring to?

You should have the choice of both software monitoring and direct out on that unit. The direct monitoring button on the front mixes whatever is coming in through the microphone input with what is coming backfrom the DAW. I think this is the unit we are talking about:

cake uaex25.jpg

Edited by Tezza

8 minutes ago, Tezza said:

You should have the choice of both software monitoring and direct out on that unit. The direct monitoring button on the front mixes whatever is coming in through the microphone input with what is coming backfrom the DAW. I think this is the unit we are talking about:

cake uaex25.jpg

Yes Tezza thank you this is the one. In my sonar I have an input monitoring button that can be pressed on any given track.  when the digital in button is off on my ua25  I get a light on the direct monitoring signal. I normally have this signal right over to the right but nothing notable happens....

21 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

You should have a direct monitoring switch and knob on your interface. Have you tried experimenting with those ?

Yes I have. it generally shows the direct montoring level is on (red light) and I make sure the knob is turned all the way up (to the right) but don't here any noise produced by instruments or vocal through the headphones.

I think that direct monitoring button needs to be at about 12'o'clock, the more to the left, the more you will hear what is coming in from the XLR mic input, the more to the right the more you will hear what is coming back from the DAW. I think it works this way on your unit. It's not like a volume knob, it is a mix knob.

You juggle that with the output volume which gives you the overall volume of both.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

See if you can get this direct monitoring working first, that is mixed in the unit itself, you do not need to press monitoring in your software, that should be off. There is also an advanced switch on those units, on the back,i think that needs to be set to "on".

Edited by Tezza

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, Tezza said:

See if you can get this direct monitoring working first, that is mixed in the unit itself, you do not need to press monitoring in your software, that should be off. There is also an advanced switch on those units, on the back,i think that needs to be set to "on".

Ok thanks for your feedback Tezza. I will try your suggestions. The advanced button is on so that is ok.

• 10 months later...
13 hours ago, John Hamblen said:

I am having the same issue with the midas m32 with cakewalk. also when i am in record mode with the midas it wont play the tracks already recorded...

You'll probably had to start a new thread to discuss this issue.  I use an M32 in my studio,  so I can offer help.   It certainly seems like a routing issue.  

i have bandlab on laptop windows 8 works fine  input echo and just record depressed you can hear both..driver mme. my desktop dell i5 window 10  bandlab no sound but meter with record depressed but can hear with input echo . driver mme...switched to wdm driver and meters both cant hear anything...same exact set up as my laptop every audio setting...dont know if its driver or i need to reinstall