Not everyone has a Meng looking out for them...

31 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

CbB users would do well to reflect on what a great deal they're getting.

I really am grateful to so many for all they create. Cakewalk especially.

I'm not against corporations. I only feel they are not individuals and shouldn't be treated like individuals legally.

Predictions in this day and age are risky. I have no idea what the future holds, really. Things change too fast, technology moves too fast. I think we project our hopes more than anything, when we make predictions. So who knows? I'm just grateful we still have cakewalk. But I will make another donation at some point,  just to be on the safe side. I hope it's still around another 20 or so years. After that, I'll either be dead, or robots will have taken over the world.

In some ways it makes total sense for businesses to offer subscriptions to other businesses, especially if it's cloud based.

For one thing, it lowers the cost of ownership in the sense that you don't actually own the software. This has favourable tax implications, as it is seen as an expense which is tax deductible, rather than an owned asset (which you may have to pay tax on, depending on where your company is based and what you've bought).

If it's cloud based, it's really easy to expand storage, CPU's, RAM etc on the fly as you need it without having to buy hardware (same argument as above) and without having to redeploy your software.

The plugin subscription plans make total sense for small commercial studios.

For the average consumer though, it's may or may not make sense. Having the choice between buying it outright and a subscription is best, but forcing people to take a subscription and/or forcing upgrades on people without any guarantee that it will be backward compatible is really bad IMO.

Seems like a really counterproductive business model: suing your customers for not upgrading.  

Maybe more and more photographers will start putting time and energy into GIMP. 

Already,  a fair amount of people on the video side are jumping ship to DaVinci Resolve.  $300.  Blackmagic Design  has yet to charge for an upgrade.  And there is a free version that does probably 85% of what the full one does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Seems like a really counterproductive business model: suing your customers for not upgrading.  

Maybe more and more photographers will start putting time and energy into GIMP. 

Already,  a fair amount of people on the video side are jumping ship to DaVinci Resolve.  $300.  Blackmagic Design  has yet to charge for an upgrade.  And there is a free version that does probably 85% of what the full one does. 

GIMP isn't good enough.  However, Affinity Photo at $50 and you own it certianly is for pixel based photo editing like Photoshop.    One also needs a good RAW converter i.e. Like Lightroom (Affinity Photo's isn't top tier).  Capture One is better than LIghtroom, but also isn't a cheap alternative.  

DaVinci Resolve is the real deal.  

abacab, it could be worse. You could have a 20-year old copy Adobe Premier.

My brother has worked at Adobe for decades. He came to the company back when they bought Aldus. He's a tech geek and not in marketing so he won't be embarrassed that I've outed him. As an employee he can buy software at cost, so I had him get me Audition and Premier. Premier just sucked something awful and I uninstalled it. Audition, though, seemed like a good investment. I had liked its shareware predecessor, and the idea of having it maintained and enhanced by a big corporation seemed like a good thing.

Then they decided to go to the cloud with it. I was disappointed, but Audition 3 was still a good program and it still worked. At least, until I had to replace my computer after it was stolen. Audition didn't work anymore because it had to be authorized online and Adobe had taken down their authorization server. Instant obsolescence. Wouldn't Toyota or General Motors love to be able to remotely disable every car over 5 years old? Brilliant move.

Luckily for me, Adobe still had a shred of conscience back then. They issued a universal license for Audition 3 users. I still use it to this day. I'm guessing some up-and-coming marketing dweeb stood in front of the conference table and pointed to a chart showing many AA3 users had not migrated to the new product, making the case that the company needed a heavier hand to keep its customers in line. And here we are.

Will there ever be a consumer backlash? Not likely. After all, there are still Apple customers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

"Wouldn't Toyota or General Motors love to be able to remotely disable every car over 5 years old? Brilliant move."

Yikes, don't give them any ideas!

Edited by mdiemer

"Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.”"

This sounds to me that there is some legal issue with older versions and they are essentially washing their hands off the liability. I doubt anything would happen to actual consumers using old versions they bought but you never know with patent trolls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

"Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.”"

This sounds to me that there is some legal issue with older versions and they are essentially washing their hands off the liability. I doubt anything would happen to actual consumers using old versions they bought but you never know with patent trolls.

In other words adobe is saying  - ( careful - there's those bad guys out there )  but sign on and you're protected   ( from us ! )

UEFI was created to release us from the shackles of only being able to boot from bios devices, and now from anywhere directed to.

All it will take for your precious win10 box to be told only to boot from the m.s. mothership is one of your beloved security updates. I have formed the sentence this way because of the apathetic cool-aid drinking that is the worlds acceptance of automatic corruptdates under the guise of security and necessity. 

I personally have no pcs in this house using anything but MBR boot and updates off (for good) windows 10 or otherwise.

They will never get me.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, msmcleod said:

For one thing, it lowers the cost of ownership in the sense that you don't actually own the software.

I have never seen that any kind of subscription has been more cost effective for the customer in the end. Usually the provider has more profit for the same effort. And in addition to that all rental models reduce the rating possibilities of the customers (not to buy a new version if it is not worth the money), i.e. reduced free-market economy.

51 minutes ago, marled said:

I have never seen that any kind of subscription has been more cost effective for the customer in the end. Usually the provider has more profit for the same effort. And in addition to that all rental models reduce the rating possibilities of the customers (not to buy a new version if it is not worth the money), i.e. reduced free-market economy.

Great for corporations - cost-effective, everyone's using the same version, easy file exchanges, etc.  Not so great for consumers, who have different needs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Great for corporations - cost-effective, everyone's using the same version, easy file exchanges, etc.  Not so great for consumers, who have different needs. 

Exactly, and there are not so many audio studio corporations, but a lot of amateur musicians like me!