Odd behaviour & Bandlab/Sonar [USB + midi msgs]

my03

Hi,

As a quite old user of Sonar (since the 4.x days), now of course running the Bandlab version (latest), there are two things that still bugs me about it: USB chrashes and midi messages that freaks out some of my instruments:

USB chrashes

The DAW mostly always (90% of the times) chrashes hard when i have a project opened and then fire up on of my USB connected instruments (such as the Yamaha moxf6, the Waldorf Blofeld or one Roland Boutique). It will find that a new device exists and asks me if i want to stop the transport or not (and no matter if i so yes or no, it chrashes). I then get the dialogue that asks if i would like to send an error report (and i have - numerous times). I am not quite convinced that it has to do with either of these manufacturers USB drivers since it happens regardless of what instrument i power on (should i forget to do it before starting Bandlab).

Freakish midi messages

This one seems to only affect some of my older gear such and it always seems to happen if i have them started (and midi connected of course) BEFORE starting Bandlab. The Behaviour is different:

Roland jx8p, juno-2, jx3p:   No longer possible to swith patches. The default patch when powering on sounds as normal (and it is possible to play it from another keyboard) but it is not possible to swich patches

Novation SuperNova mkII: The volume of the entire unit gets a 150% boost, effectively overdriving the outputs of the unit. Powering off and then back on returns it to normal operation again. I guess this one might happen due to some (??) running-status midi messages or similar (idk).

Does this behaviour sound familiar to anyone?

Running Windows 7x64, 16GB ram, 4970k cpu.

Edited by my03
added OS info etc.

Hi John, absolutely and that is the best way, no doubt. But sometimes at least i forget to turn one of them on 😗 and since it actually gives you that dialogue and the choice (which then chrashes) then maybe there is a bug or similar in CbB??

It could be very well be a bug. Or it could be an issue with how USB is handled by the OS.  I use a master switch that turns on everything that is hooked up to the computer and Cakewalk.  Some things don't need to be on at start. I have an amp that I turn on when I need it.  All connected gear has to be on before I start Cakewalk. 

I just wasted 4 hrs yesterday fooling with MIDI signal freerads messing with my outboard synth on CbB & Sonar. Finally ended the night with a BSOD, which has only happened once before on this computer.

Tried migrating the project to MC8 where very little goes wrong... but it just doesn't have the editing tools I need. :S

I'm afraid to turn anything on today.

Edited by sjoens

I, too, have a problem if I forget to turn on all my devices before opening Cakewalk (or SONAR).  If I forget and the program askes me the "Stop playback?" question, I ALWAYS answer no, save and exit Cakewalk before proceeding.  Like you, Cakewalk hangs hard almost every time if I answer "yes" and try to proceed with the newly turned-on hardware without restarting Cakewalk.

Like John said, turn it all on beforehand (or answer NO and get the hell out of Cakewalk before you proceed).