Top 2 Most Wanted Missing Features of CBB

Mark Morgon-Shaw

If you read through all of them ,  most Feature Requests tend to be small and fairly specific to a certain user's workflow or personal preferences. A lot of them don't serve the wider user base and never get implemented.

However there are certain requests that appear time after time, some going way back in the old forums. 

1. Built in Sampler

2. Chord Track

3. Nested / Sub Folders       Due in next release ! 😃

Are there any other features that have been requested on a regular basis ? And is there likely to be progress on the above ? 

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

3. Nested / Sub Folders

Early Access for 2021.12!

Support for nested track folders

To improve track organization, Cakewalk now supports nested track folders. A nested folder is a subfolder that is contained within another parent folder. Nested subfolders allow you to organize tracks more logically. For example, you can have a "Guitar" parent folder that contains "Electric" and "Acoustic" subfolders.

image.png

2. Chord Track +1 👍

• Like 4

@Mark MoreThan-Shaw  ya just referring to an epic thread on the topic...

On 12/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

most Feature Requests tend to be small and fairly specific to a certain user's workflow or personal preferences. A lot of them don't serve the wider user base

agreed on this point. ima big fan of simplicity/functional design vs. adding arbitrary complexity to an already highly capable program. most suggestions strike me as convoluted corner cases based on limited experience rather than adding value, but such is the nature of a diverse user base. just imagine what something like a guitar might look like if subjected to the same...

Edited by jackson white
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Jorge Arias said:

VCA Faders!

What is so special about VCA faders? Maybe it's just me... I'm not knocking it in any way just don't get the importance of them. If someone can tell me it would be awesome. I have seen it requested before and have seen a few videos on them but I don't see it dramatically making a difference. Let me know what I'm missing.🤔

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

What is so special about VCA faders

If Control Groups would follow automation envelopes written on a single grouped track there would be no need for VCA 's.

Currently you have to write (and edit) automation on all of the grouped tracks. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

What is so special about VCA faders? Maybe it's just me... I'm not knocking it in any way just don't get the importance of them. If someone can tell me it would be awesome. I have seen it requested before and have seen a few videos on them but I don't see it dramatically making a difference. Let me know what I'm missing.🤔

The only advantage I can see with VCA faders vs CbB grouping is that with VCA faders, you can adjust the other tracks independently from the VCA fader.

In CbB to do this, you need to first remove the fader from the group, make the adjustment, then add it back.

E.g.:

VcaExample.gif

6 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

If Control Groups would follow automation envelopes written on a single grouped track there would be no need for VCA 's.

Yes, this can be a pain, but I normally get around this by grouping the automation R/W buttons too.  This way I don't forget!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Yes, this can be a pain, but I normally get around this by grouping the automation R/W buttons too.  This way I don't forget!

My workaround is to route a midi track through LoopBe to control the grouped tracks. For all practical purposes it is a VCA.

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The only advantage I can see with VCA faders vs CbB grouping is that with VCA faders, you can adjust the other tracks independently from the VCA fader.

In CbB to do this, you need to first remove the fader from the group, make the adjustment, then add it back.

To independently adjust a control that is grouped, hold down the CTRL key while making the adjustment.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Base 57 said:

well, a VCA fader allows you to control the volume of a group of faders without them moving, unlike the common grouping, allowing among other things to assign an automation and control the entire group or assign it to several groups.

1 hour ago, Xel Ohh said:

well, a VCA fader allows you to control the volume of a group of faders without them moving, unlike the common grouping, allowing among other things to assign an automation and control the entire group or assign it to several groups.

3 hours ago, Jorge Arias said:

From Google  " VCA stands for Voltage-Controlled Amplifier. VCA faders were originally found on hardware mixing desks. They allowed the user to control the volume levels of several mixer channels with only one fader. To assign channel faders to a VCA fader, the respective channels must be physically connected with the VCA fader."

I've never had a desk or a DAW with VCA faders so I genuinely dont get how this is any different from a bus ?