Cakewalk somehow controls my X-air18

LeFOU

Hello,

Another issue I am having since over a year now, which is very strange, is when I click stop (or spacebar) on a project, the input channel (USB return) of the digital board goes to -infinity.  I must then turn it back up EACH TIME I hit the spacebar.

If I use two input channels as a stereo link on the x-air, both volumes drop to -infinity and the right channel gets panned completely to the left.

Behringer X-air 18 - I tried multiple driver versions.

Cakewalk has been updated to the latest version(s).

I hope this is a fixable issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On 12/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, LeFOU said:

when I click stop (or spacebar) on a project, the input channel (USB return) of the digital board goes to -infinity.  I must then turn it back up EACH TIME I hit the spacebar.

It sounds like the input channel is mapped to a MIDI controller, and that you've got "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" switched on in project->MIDI preferences:

image.png.b6089349c55b062d58a1eaee2fbf8e52.png

If so, then your solutions are:

1. Untick the "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" option or...
2. Read the documentation for the X-air18 to see if you can unmap that input channel setting from being under MIDI control.

Note that option is global and it is here for a reason. If you are not explicitly controlling your mixer from MIDI tracks, it is better not enable it as MIDI device.  Otherwise  you probably hit related problems in the future, in case you use any MIDI. Just imagine you send some MIDI by mistake to that port, that can change random and difficult to find settings in the mixer.

HI:)

You can avoid resetting if you add 

NoControllerReset=1

to an instrument file. Here you can see mine for the Launch Control:

.Patch Names
.Note Names
.Controller Names
.Instrument Definitions

[LaunchControlXL]
NoControllerReset=1
Control=LaunchControlXL
Patch[*]=1..8
Key[*,*]=LaunchControlXL

It's better to leave the zero controller option on and insert an import an instrument file!

Bassman.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, azslow3 said:

Check (in Cakewalk preferences) you haven't enabled MIDI inputs/outputs to/from XAir, at least not those which control it.

Seeing comments that say to keep the "zero controller" option checked, I am not really sure what to look for.

Here?

image.thumb.png.a6f677c8faa06180e5cb47136bd98098.png

2 hours ago, LeFOU said:

Seeing comments that say to keep the "zero controller" option checked, I am not really sure what to look for.

Here?

image.thumb.png.a6f677c8faa06180e5cb47136bd98098.png

So, uncheck "X18..." in Inputs and Outputs,  then you can enable "zero controller" again.

Sure, that only make sense in case you don't want MIDI tracks from Cakewalk control your XAir. I mention that since the feature is not bad, you can automate XAir from Cakewalk.  Also since XAir has OSC over SYSEX and Cakewalk supports SYSEX, you can f.e. setup the mixer when particular project is loaded (with some programming to covert required settings into SYSEX form).

So, it depends from your use of XAir+Cakewalk combi.