Midi FX plugin that changes the shape of a volume pedal curve

gmp

I have 2 synths, but they react differently to the volume pedal. In other words if I have them perfectly balanced at a low volume pedal setting and then raise the volume with the pedal, 1 synth gets louder quicker throwing off the balance between the 2 synth sounds..

Ntonyx has a 32 bit mid plugin that work fines, but it won't work with 64 bit CbB. I can draw a curve that affects how the foot volume pedal tracks the midi controller #7. Any one know of any midi FX plugins

If I understand what you want to do, the "CCMap" midi plugin from TenCrazy might work for you. It allows you to set the range of values that a selected CC will produce. It also allows you to translate the CC (e.g., change CC1 to CC11), although I don't think you need this feature. Here's the link to his page of plugins. They're safe...I've used them for several years:

https://tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

36 minutes ago, billp said:

If I understand what you want to do, the "CCMap" midi plugin from TenCrazy might work for you. It allows you to set the range of values that a selected CC will produce. It also allows you to translate the CC (e.g., change CC1 to CC11), although I don't think you need this feature. Here's the link to his page of plugins. They're safe...I've used them for several years:

https://tencrazy.com/gadgets/mfx/

My understanding is that the CCMap,  doesn't work in real time. It alters the CC data after it's recorded. Whereas I want something to alter the data in real time coming from my midi volume pedal. 

9 hours ago, Jack Cat said:

You can just automate the instrument tracks volume using the envelope lane. Midi is to weird to make it work right. I do all panning and levels in the instrument/ audio track. 

One of the synths is a hardware external synth and the other is a soft synth, but your method does work perfectly with 2 soft synths.

12 hours ago, gmp said:

I have 2 synths, but they react differently to the volume pedal. In other words if I have them perfectly balanced at a low volume pedal setting and then raise the volume with the pedal, 1 synth gets louder quicker throwing off the balance between the 2 synth sounds..

It's not unusual for synths to  be able to set velocity curves. This maps velocities. Check the documentation and see if the synths have this function and if they do make sure they are the same.

2 hours ago, gmp said:

My understanding is that the CCMap,  doesn't work in real time. It alters the CC data after it's recorded. Whereas I want something to alter the data in real time coming from my midi volume pedal. 

It does work in real time. 

22 hours ago, billp said:

It does work in real time. 

So in other words, I can set up my analog external synth controlled by my midi volume pedal and have the volume pedal also control my soft synth and I can adjust the CCMap for the soft synth to match the volume pedal behavior of the analog synth, right? I can make adjustments to the curve in the CCMap and hear the results in real time? This is how the 32 bit Ntonyx plugin worked. Have you used the CCMap?

I've used it but not in the way that you propose, but I believe it will work.

You can establish the low and high range of values on the input and output sides separately for selected CC numbers, in your case CC7 for both input and output. The entire range of the incoming and outgoing values will be limited to the specified ranges. It proportionalizes the incoming range. For example if you allow the full range on input 0-127 and then constrain the output range to 0-80, setting the input to 31 (25%) would produce an output of approximately 20 (25% of 80).

You also need to disable the option (checkbox) to send the original value. Otherwise you get both. This option is used when you translate the incoming CC, which this plugin also supports. 

I've also found the Port Diagnostic tool very helpful, also on the Ten Crazy site. It allows you to see the midi traffic. I'd put it after the CCMap.

8 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

You might also want to try this one: https://viramor.com/csmulticompander-midifx/

It doesn't appear to work in real time for setting the curve, but once it's set. I think it will work. I hope I can find one that you can set in real time, so I can hear the results as I adjust.

WEBSITE SAYS THIS:

The MFX works on real-time input from a keyboard, also.

An important thing to remember when using the plugin during playback is that changes to the settings will not be heard immediately.
This is because the MIDI data is streamed to the component about two measures ahead of the time it’s actually played.

The MIDI buffer delay only applies when you're playing back an existing (recorded) track. Real-time input (if you're playing your keyboard) is passed to the VST (or passed back out) instantly.
MidiCompander can be used to balance the response curves to multiple instruments, but it can have an annoying "jump" at the bottom or top of the range. I'll see if I can smooth that out.

9 minutes ago, Variorum said:

The MIDI buffer delay only applies when you're playing back an existing (recorded) track. Real-time input (if you're playing your keyboard) is passed to the VST (or passed back out) instantly.
MidiCompander can be used to balance the response curves to multiple instruments, but it can have an annoying "jump" at the bottom or top of the range. I'll see if I can smooth that out.

It sounds like your midi plugin will do what I want. Would you please verify this? This is what I need it to do

Set up my analog external synth controlled by my midi volume pedal and have the volume pedal also control my soft synth and I can adjust the CC7 curve for the soft synth to match the volume pedal behavior of the analog synth.  Can I make adjustments to the CC7 curve and hear the results in real time? This is how the 32 bit Ntonyx plugin worked. 

I made a couple modifications to MidiCompander to get rid of the glitch and display a more meaningful graph when it's set to anything other than Velocity.
I'm working on changing the algorithm to be logarithmic rather than linear for CC's, but if you want to try out this interim version you can download it here. You'll probably get the "This type of file may damage your computer, blah blah blah" warning because you're downloading a DLL directly. You can ignore it...
If you just copy it over your existing CSMultiCompander.dll file it will work... you won't have to uninstall, re-register, etc.
It would be best to do this when Cakewalk isn't running

Select the Ctrl Chng button and type 7 into the box below it to modify Volume.
Move the High, Low, and Offset sliders and the graph will show you how the Volume will be modified.
You can stomp your volume pedal while playing your keyboard to test your adjustments in real-time.

I'll update the plugin on the main site when I've finished the log modifications.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Variorum said:

I'm working on changing the algorithm to be logarithmic rather than linear for CC's . . . .

Nice to see that you are making some updates to your handy tools.  Will the algorithm (log v. linear) be switchable? Are you moving in the direction of selectable curves?  Just wondering.

Edited by User 905133
to fix a typo

12 hours ago, Variorum said:

I made a couple modifications to MidiCompander to get rid of the glitch and display a more meaningful graph when it's set to anything other than Velocity.
I'm working on changing the algorithm to be logarithmic rather than linear for CC's, but if you want to try out this interim version you can download it here. You'll probably get the "This type of file may damage your computer, blah blah blah" warning because you're downloading a DLL directly. You can ignore it...
If you just copy it over your existing CSMultiCompander.dll file it will work... you won't have to uninstall, re-register, etc.
It would be best to do this when Cakewalk isn't running

Select the Ctrl Chng button and type 7 into the box below it to modify Volume.
Move the High, Low, and Offset sliders and the graph will show you how the Volume will be modified.
You can stomp your volume pedal while playing your keyboard to test your adjustments in real-time.

I'll update the plugin on the main site when I've finished the log modifications.

I installed it and l added the DLL and it works very good in real time with the volume pedal.  All the changes you're working on sound very good and useful. Thanks for all your help

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Will the algorithm (log v. linear) be switchable? Are you moving in the direction of selectable curves?

Probably not switchable in this plugin... a log response will just be a little more "natural". I may split this plugin out to a dedicated Response Curve MidiFX that will use a simple spline curve or a linear line.
Any plugins after that will likely be VST-Midi plugins... unless Steinberg completely cripples it in the future 😬

21 minutes ago, gmp said:

I installed it and l added the DLL and it works very good in real time with the volume pedal.  All the changes you're working on sound very good and useful. Thanks for all your help

No problem. I'll try to finish up the final version soon...