What's your favorite movie

John K

Hey Guys,

Was another thread. MandolinPicker suggested an old black and white film, "12 Angry Men" as his all time favorite. Wanted to check it out, and a gem of a movie where acting had to replace special effects, profanity, digital crap. Thank you Mandolin. Was a real treat.

So was wondering. We all got our top 20 list of favorite movies.

But what if the earth were about to die with a megaton asteroid about to wipe us out.

If we could send a time capsule into space to document our last moments. The flicks that were really good, and we had only one choice. What would the best movie of all time be.

Can display my ignorance and old age, lack of experience keeping up with movies.. Don't even have TV plugged in. Been 20 years since I went to a movie house.

So my main movie to send into space before the collision is...

BEN HUR

Alternate opinions, ideas, submissions so much anticipated and really really appreciated.

Love you all,

John

24 minutes ago, John K said:

Hey Guys,

Was another thread. MandolinPicker suggested an old black and white film, "12 Angry Men" as his all time favorite. Wanted to check it out, and a gem of a movie where acting had to replace special effects, profanity, digital crap. Thank you Mandolin. Was a real treat

Glad you liked it!

Ishtar actually cracked me up, well the 'songwriting' did. Kudos to an excellent songwriter like Paul Williams (IIRC) for concocting such bad songs and making them hilarious. 

Back OT. Like craigb, too many to choose from but some top contenders for me would be:

Being There
Reds
The Usual Suspects

As others have said, it's hard to pick one. I'm a horror fan. The late 70's/80's are my favorite period. If I had to put them in order of times watched and re-watch-ability, or if I were stuck on an island and could only take 10 movies for all eternity, for me it would go like this.

Night Of The Living Dead (Tom Savini's version. Tony Todd [The Candyman], Bill Mosley [Texas Chain. Mass.], Pat Tallman [Stunt actress from a lot of movies].
Day Of The Dead (The one with Bub. My old forum presence & avy. Still is my forum presence on S1's forum.)
Friday The 13th Part 1 (I was born near the town where it was filmed and my dad still lives there a few doors down from the arches in the opening scenes. All my family on my dads side is from that area.)
Fright Night (The one with Roddy McDowall [The Bookworm in Batman TOS] and Chris Sarandon [Voice of Jack Skellington].)
House 1 Ding Dong, You're Dead. (William Katt [Greatest American Hero] and George Wendt [Cheers].
House 2 The Second Story. (Royal Dano [Old Western star], John Ratzenberger [Cheers], and Bill Maher [😒].
Evil Dead trilogy. (Bruce Campbell).
Leprechaun 1. (A young Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Aniston ...)

The 80's were the last era of practical FX. Gone are the days of the Tom Savini's and Ray Harryhausen's replaced by cheesy Sci-Fi channel CGI.

I also enjoy a lot of the older movies from the 50's and 60's. Some of them are absolutely beautiful to watch when they restore them, if you're in to that kind of thing. All the ones I mentioned have been restored and remastered. I own all versions of most starting on VHS. It's extremely rare that I watch anything beyond the early 90's. My wife recently got an email from our cell provider with a coupon for a year of Paramount + for free and we signed up. They have some incredible old movies. Tons of old westerns and every one I've seen so far appears to have been restored. A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott is on there and it's better quality than my disc version.

For me it's as much about how the movie was filmed as it is the acting and the subject. I have little to no respect for all the CGI that's in movies now. I remember a line from Happy Days when I was a kid that stuck with me. Ralph and the guys were looking at a girly magazine and he said, "Imagine that in a tight sweater.". That pretty much sums it up for me. To me new movies and CGI are overwhelming. Movies like Star Wars TOS left a lot to the imagination and didn't overwhelm you. Anyway, that's how I feel about newer stuff. I'm sure others are just perfectly fine with CGI. And it can be done well, but IMO it's usually way overdone or cheesy to the point of truly being bad.

Pulp Fiction

Forest Gump

Wizard Of Oz

It's A Wonderful life

A Christmas Story

I am also a westerns fan. Almost any western will work. And I do like both versions of True Grit.

Big fan of Gone With The Wind.

Pretty much, if it's a good movie, I'll watch it. 

Guys,

Thanks for a feast of recommendations. Haven’t watched too many of the newer CGI productions. (Thanks Shane for a great post). CGI is with us because things got to evolve, but too often currently the glitz is poured on to disguise lack of content. Keep the computer generated monsters invading with a 120 db sound track of bombs going off. Throw in the f word every other sentence and you got a short lived hit. Nothing a few decades won’t work out as producers learn to scale the fireworks back and balance special effects with substance.

Back to 12 Angry Men as suggested by MandolinPicker. Old B&W film for the most part located in one room. No special effects, but a great flick. Focus was on the integrity of acting and content of the presentation.

Had read an old article about the introduction of the silent movies. Commentary was on Nosferatu (the vampire movie).

Humans to that time in our evolution were more keyed in to the rhythms of nature. Sunrise, sunset, beauty at the smell and sight of a flower. Senses were sharp.

Nosferatu hit the new fangled movie stage. People jumped out of their chairs screaming. Many falling into unconsciousness over a terror never experienced before. End of the age of innocence as we adapted to a new level of violent assault against our nervous system .

Fast forward to the present where we got to be chest deep in blood and gore, special effects before it even stimulates a brain cell. The principle spilling over into music production where a "hook" has to be in a new song within the first 5 seconds or the recipient will move on to the next cell phone blast.

Perspective from a fading generation however, and likely missing many points of understanding. Like my kid told me once, I’m SO 1960’s.

Stay safe all of you,

John