Trying to get Cakewalk track bounce to mix tracks?

John Bowles

Question

Hi,

As I step by step work at getting Cakewalk to do what I can do with Audacity it has been a success and then some so far. However I hit one I am stuck on (actually 2 but I may post a request for change on the 2nd as it appears Cakewalk is missing label imports and this can not import the chords to a song which BIAB can send to a label file). 

Here are my actual Audacity Notes for this feature.

If you have a great recording take which you think you can't easily do again and one bad note or a few bad notes here is how to fix this and save time.

Click and hold before the bad note or notes and drag to the right to highlight the bad note or notes .

Click menu (edit, remove special, silence audio) to remove the bad note. Ctrl+L works too (small letter L).

Click on the track where you want to run up to your replacement note then press shift+R to start recording on a new track. When you hear the proper location play the note to replace the note you removed.

To do another try click the X in the top left of your prior tries track to delete it then press shift+r again and it will automatically start from the same spot it started last time.  

If you are doing repeat tries of a solo to insert after your already completed melody you might want to insert a click track so you can see the 1st beat locations and start your recording early. Search this document for "Click Track".

To merge the two tracks into a single track.

Highlight both tracks by pressing and holding the ctrl key and clicking on the left area of both tracks just below that down arrow.

Once you are sure both tracks are highlighted click (tracks, mix, mix and render to a new track). It will have merged them in perfect alignment. 

Test your new merged track. If it is good remove the unwanted tracks by clicking the X for the tracks (extreme top left of the track).

So I tried the bounce tracks feature and it does not mix the tracks together for me as Audacity does. I attached what I am trying to do as an initial test along with the bounce parameters. I tell it track 6 (a new track) and it gives me 2 tracks. Is there a video kicking around that shows a success with this feature without all sorts of other extras to complicate things. Now I have been able to insert BIAB drum count-in beats at the start of tracks which our club uses to help other members line up the tracks but I am using splitting "S" key and copy/paste. That only works because I can butt the pasted track against the very front of the recording for perfect accuracy. Dragging a split in does not accurately place it for fix purposes. What if I want the exact human errors (no quantizing).

Thanks,

John

Bounce.png

Edited by John Bowles

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, scook said:

To bounce multiple tracks into one use a bus (Master is already setup on these tracks) or the entire mix as the source.

Thanks scook. I have a video for this. Not the greatest. I will find another.  In Audacity I didn't need a video. Tried it, worked first time. No brainer. 

So I skipped quickly through a better video which did not do exactly what I wanted but it showed me he was selecting buses so I combined what scook wrote and the video and got it to work. My instructions are below.

1.     Make sure there is no overlapping signal in the tracks you are mixing. To erase bad parts use the S command to split the bad parts into a separate clip then highlight that bad clip and press the delete key.

2.     Solo the tracks you want to mix.

3.     At the top of the Tracks window notice an item called "Tracks" with a down arrow to the right of it. Click that.

4.     Choose Bounce to track(s).

5.     Fill out the popup this way.

Preset = Buses.

Destination = a new track.

Channel Format = Mono

What to bounce (Source category) = Buses.

Below the above mentioned item you should see Master checked as the source.

Check whatever check boxes you want.

Range = Entire Range

Click Okay.

6.     You should have a new track with all other tracks mixed.

7.     Solo that new track to check it.

8.     If you are happy with the new track save your work then delete the original tracks you wanted to mix together and save your work again.

Edited by John Bowles
forgot to thank again :-)