Track folders in console view

Jezric

When using track folders in the track view, it would be great if there was the option to show these also in the console view. Right now, when using a large number of tracks, the console view gets very hard to use, color coding helps, but being able to collapse whole sections of tracks would be amazing. See attached mockup pic I did that shows how this could look. 

Thanks

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 4

2 hours ago, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I suppose you could argue that's what the Track Manager is for but I agree it's a more ergonomic way of working although I might want a better visual indication that it's a folder. I'm sure someone could design a decent graphic.

Yeah, track manager isn't right there in the interface, so not as convenient. It is nice that track manager settings are stored with the screensets, so I suppose you could setup screensets with the different views of channels you want to see, but that's a lot of setup/management overhead... Having the ability to just have a consistent folder concept between track view and console would be a much smoother workflow in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, Jezric said:

When using track folders in the track view, it would be great if there was the option to show these also in the console view. Right now, when using a large number of tracks, the console view gets very hard to use, color coding helps, but being able to collapse whole sections of tracks would be amazing. See attached mockup pic I did that shows how this could look. 

Thanks

This is an interesting idea. It did come up in initial discussions, but a decision was never made as there are complications such as how to sensibly represent sub-folders, and also how this would affect control surfaces.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:33 AM, Mark MoreThan-Shaw said:

I suppose you could argue that's what the Track Manager is for but I agree it's a more ergonomic way of working although I might want a better visual indication that it's a folder. I'm sure someone could design a decent graphic.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:45 AM, Jezric said:

Yeah, track manager isn't right there in the interface, so not as convenient. It is nice that track manager settings are stored with the screensets, so I suppose you could setup screensets with the different views of channels you want to see, but that's a lot of setup/management overhead... Having the ability to just have a consistent folder concept between track view and console would be a much smoother workflow in my opinion. 

This is exactly what Track Manager is for, and don't forget you've now also got track manager presets within the project,  so you can recall previous views from the dropdown rather than having to use screensets.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 5:00 AM, msmcleod said:

This is an interesting idea. It did come up in initial discussions, but a decision was never made as there are complications such as how to sensibly represent sub-folders, and also how this would affect control surfaces.

This is exactly what Track Manager is for, and don't forget you've now also got track manager presets within the project,  so you can recall previous views from the dropdown rather than having to use screensets.

Ok, so... maybe what would make track manager more usable in the main interface would be a side panel "module" like master channel, or arranger panel, etc. for the track manager. There are many logistics to this. I will start a new thread for that. :) 

Edited by Jezric
  • Great Idea 1