This might interest those who record and produce in home studios

PJH

I thought that this might interest those with home studios like myself. I recorded my fourth solo instrumental album over the past few years and decided to film as many of the sessions as I could. I've have uploaded videos from my album over the past few years and have received many kind comments from everyone on this great forum. The album is finally finished and was released last week. I was lucky enough to get sponsorship from a high end audio/visual company who covered the costs of making a limited run of cds and Blu Ray discs as well.

Having all this video footage available has enabled me to put together a “making of” video using a lot of the footage that I captured during the recordings.

This video gives an in depth analysis of three of the tracks and how these songs are constructed in terms of the instruments, parts, arrangement, production etc. Certain instrument parts are highlighted to provide the viewer/listener with an insight into how they fit into the final mix. As you'll see, the entire album was recorded, mixed and mastered in Cakewalk.

All the guitars parts were recorded with the Kemper Profiler directly into the DAW using my own profiles from my pedals and a Marshall JCM2000 combo.

The Hammond organ was recorded at the keyboard player’s home studio.

This has been a massive job to put together and I'm really happy with the results. I hope that you enjoy this as well!

Edited by PJH
  • Like 4

Peter, thanks for this fabulous insight into the creative process. You know that Larry is the star in this - right? He's always going to steal the show. 😂

Really enjoyed the watch and the listen and - as Gary says above - hat's off to you, because we all know just how much work goes into something like this.

Great stuff!

Andy

22 hours ago, garybrun said:

Very well done.
As a video editor I know how much time this has taken you.

Thanks so much for the comments Gary!

Yes, the edit took a long long time. I had to go back and find the necessary footage from a couple of years back and then decided what to use.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Peter , that was Very nice and informative. I Love watching your videos and seeing how Easy you and your bandmates make it look to get that Incredible sound. (with the exception of Larry) he looks like he is always working hard. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for all the hard and tedious work.      mark

On 12/7/2021 at 10:47 PM, AndyB01 said:

Peter, thanks for this fabulous insight into the creative process. You know that Larry is the star in this - right? He's always going to steal the show. 😂

Really enjoyed the watch and the listen and - as Gary says above - hat's off to you, because we all know just how much work goes into something like this.

Great stuff!

Andy

Thanks so much for the comments Andy. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm going to have to tell Larry that he has a fan!

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 8:08 PM, mark skinner said:

Peter , that was Very nice and informative. I Love watching your videos and seeing how Easy you and your bandmates make it look to get that Incredible sound. (with the exception of Larry) he looks like he is always working hard. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for all the hard and tedious work.      mark

Thanks, Mark!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Believe me, Larry is holding back. I'm constantly having to tell him to keep it fairly straight. When he's finished his parts he always says that he could have done a lot more but I try to keep things as tight and concise as possible. I don't like overplaying, especially when it's a mix with lots of tracks.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 1:06 AM, Jesse Screed said:

Dang, where do you find the time?

It's a labour of love, Jesse! I enjoy putting this stuff together and if it helps anyone with musical arrangements etc all the better!

22 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting insights into the music construction. Proof that creativity extends beyond the instruments and into the DAW.

Thanks Tim!

Its all about the way one uses the tools...