Christmas Hymn Piano

Tim Smith

I made this yesterday morning in a short amount of time as music for a pre service live stream. This is why it's 4 or so Christmas songs all strung together. I'm getting better at playing, mixing and mastering 10 minute segments of music fast.....I think. 

I made up the arrangements of these common hymns on the fly. I did not intend for it to in any way be loud so not much limiting was done. I would be interested to hear if you think this needs to be louder for the type of music it is.

• Like 1

Tim what's the piano you're playing here, recorded acoustic or a VST - if so which one?

To my ears (on decent studio headphones) it sounds a little 'thin' - maybe some reverb or a different piano voicing would help fatten the sound a little?

All that said, well played putting all these together as a continuous arrangement must have been quite a task.

Great job

Andy

4 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Tim what's the piano you're playing here, recorded acoustic or a VST - if so which one?

To my ears (on decent studio headphones) it sounds a little 'thin' - maybe some reverb or a different piano voicing would help fatten the sound a little?

All that said, well played putting all these together as a continuous arrangement must have been quite a task.

Great job

Andy

Thanks for comments Andy.

This is the Concert Grand in my Casio PX-5S. This is what I'm using as a controller right now. I also tracked midi but didn't use it. Probably the thing making it thin is I likely rolled off too much base with EQ. The whole thing took me about 20 minutes to play and put together. 

3 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

So beautiful.  Really sets the mood.

Thanks you David. Much appreciated.

Edited by Tim Smith

10 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

Thanks for comments Andy.

This is the Concert Grand in my Casio PX-5S. Probably the thing making it thin is I likely rolled off too much base with EQ. 

Yep that could be it then - also could be a headphones thing, notoriously unreliable for judging a mix with.

3 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Yep that could be it then - also could be a headphones thing, notoriously unreliable for judging a mix with.

I mix with ATH-M50x which are noted to be a  bit heavy in the low mids. I use Sonarworks headphone correction which helps. Still seems to be a big difference in any mix between my monitors using ARC 3 and the headphones. I have  posted mixes without the correction and it doesn't make a huge difference for me. 

Another possibility is I used Ozone 9 piano setting which notoriously thins out the piano because it's made for a full mix.

Thanks for your crits!