Absynth / FM8 change sound for no apparent reason

Experienced user here.

I am finding that after I load sounds in Absynth / FM8 via Komplete Kontrol, and then stop the transport - or even export the track as a track template - the sound suddenly changes. This happens even on brand new empty projects.

I can stop this from happening by deleting all the macro Komplete Kontrol controller cc mappings - but I don't understand why Cakewalk is affecting these on Stop.  I have got both "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" and "MIDI Event Chase on Play" switched off in preferences and it still happens. I've even got a MIDI Event Filter on the input, allowing only notes through.

Any ideas what is causing this? It happens in Ableton Live too.

It's driving me mad, and I don't want to have to spent time constantly deleting Komplete Kontrol mappings every time I select a new sound preset.

Edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

This is from the ni site about unwanted volume changes. Maybe its something like this for patch changes ? not at my computer right now. 

KONTAKT's Volume Resets When I Press Play in my Host Sequencer

Symptom

KONTAKT's Instrument volume is reset when you press play or stop in your host sequencer.

Cause

Some host sequencers are configured to send MIDI commands CC7 and CC10 when you press play or stop. KONTAKT can be configured to respond to these standardized commands to reset the loaded Instrument's volume.

Solution

Follow these steps to prevent KONTAKT from reacting your host sequencer's play / stop commands:

Load an instance of KONTAKT in your host sequencer.

Load an Instrument to KONTAKT's Rack.

Press the wrench button on the upper left side of your KONTAKT Instrument.

Click Instruments Options.

In the Controller tab, disable the option Accept Standard Controllers for Volume and Pan.

You can alternatively configure your host sequencer not to send the standard MIDIcommands CC7 and CC10 when pressing play or pause. To learn how to do so, please consult your host sequencer's documentation.

This is obvious but I’ll ask anyway. There are no patches entered in the track header dialogue boxes?  
Track header entry rules over patches selected in a synth properties GUI for most instruments. 

But for those to be there you would have had to enter them or be using a template 

Thanks both - someone from NI (on their forum) has now helped me fix this. I'm posting here in case it helps others.

It turns out that MIDI Controller 123 (All Notes Off) had somehow gotten assigned in Komplete Kontrol to "Knob 1".
Cakewalk (and Ableton Live) broadcasts 123 at level 0, across all MIDI channels when a project stops playing. 

Assigning Komplete Kontrol's Knob 1 to something sensible, fixed the issue.

Edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield
  • Like 1