Waveform show just outline of waveform after using take lanes/mute previous take

tunesmithers

Question

I started playing with take lanes (recording set to comping and looping a region to take multiple passes at a vocal and then comp).  I did the bottom two before I realized you could set recording preference to mute previous take (Edit>Preferences>Record).   I dont' want to hear my previous take while recording a new one.   However, when I did the next three takes AFTER changing the setting to mute previous take, the original two now just show the outline of the waveform and are muted (even if I try to solo them). 

When I go to record again, the newest threes also go into this mute/outline format.  I feel like I am missing something?  How do I get the waveform back and unmuted (I tried clicking on the clips and pressing "k" to unmute... no luck.  

Thanks in advance!

image.png

4 answers to this question

21 hours ago, John Bradley said:

You need to use the Mute Tool. (Yeah, there's a Mute Tool. It was a surprise to me, as well.)

The way "mute previous takes works" has been bothering me forever, to the point where I don't use it. I just manually mute the most-recent take by using the M button on the take lane, in order to avoid using the Mute Tool.

But that's the way it is.

John!  thanks so much. 

FIX -Found Mute tool  in Tools module, then right click on Erase button in Tools module to select Mute.  Then highlighted the clip and back in business.  

So weird... it's a different mute from clip or track.  how many mutes can there be?!! 

(Reposting for more descriptive solution.)

You need to use the Mute Tool. (Yeah, there's a Mute Tool. It was a surprise to me, as well.)

The way "mute previous takes works" has been bothering me forever, to the point where I don't use it. I just manually mute the most-recent take by using the M button on the take lane, in order to avoid using the Mute Tool.

But that's the way it is.