Recording comping mode

norberto

Question

Using audio interface yamaha mg12xu and cakewalk. I have number #1 track for soundtrack (minusone) and #2 track for Mic (vocal). After recording, as i listen just the track #2 freezing track #1 , i do hear both vocal and soundtrack. I need the vocal only in track #2 so i can work on it seperately.

Tried to used instrument and vocal to record and it works ok. I can listen to only the voice in track number 2.

Please help😅🤔🙏

2 answers to this question

Not clear as I can assume possibly English is not your first language. But is seems you are trying to sing a vocal track at the same time as you are playing a pre recorded music track which is a minus 1 track from a CD? 

The Yamaha is a mixer with a stereo USB output. Couldn't find info but Yamaha uses Steinberg ASIO drivers. You should use that and make sure Cakewalk is in ASIO mode. 

With the mixer, Pan the mike  hard left and the CD track hard right . 

Insert 2 audio tracks and set one tracks input to the Yamaha input 1 Left and the other to Input 1 Right so to create 2 mono tracks. 

The better option would be to copy the CD and drop the wave file into Cakewalk  using the browser. Never done this but you can probably drag and drop directly from the CD.  Then insert a new audio track and set the input to record your vocals from the mixer. 

Edited by Jack Cat

Thanks Jack, 

Audio interface and cakewalk is in ASIO mode. Minus one track is dragged to the cakewalk as TRACK 1 and my vocal is on Track 2.

What i am trying to achieve is to record my vocal (only) in track 2 while is playing track 1 (minus one). Only track2 (vocal) is press red button ready to record.  When listening on track 2 should be only vocal, but you can hear them combine#???

It does work if i do record an instrument first in track 1 and vocal after that.?