Sign in to follow this  
Moxica

MCU support for Komplete kontrol seems to be on its way

According to this thread in NI forums, it looks like it is finally  at least planned
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/host-transport-control-doesnt-work-with-komplete-kontrol-mk2-due-to-ni-removing-mcu-support.329081/page-25

"Hi all,

MCU Support for Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK2 and A-Series (including M32) keyboards is currently in development and is nearing completion. It will be available for beta testing on Centercode shortly, and will be available as part of the next Komplete Kontrol software release.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, they are finally adding back what they took out when they released the MKII keyboards. I'm glad I never upgraded. My MKI transport controls work just fine in both Cakewalk and Studio One.

Dan

I guess that is homogeneous (S1/2 and A) MIDI based bi-directional communication. MKI was MIDI based, MKII was/is OSC based and I guess they have understood that is a mess.

Not that they make all that a big secret (they have allowed open source projects which are using all these technologies), but for some reason they do not publish protocols in public.

Note that these protocols are more advanced then MCU, obvious since "DAW integration" for supported DAW is above MCU level.

From CbB side, a reliable  way to find which Synth has relations to which track (available on surface API level) still does not exist. On NI side track switching functionality is unlocked for a while (was previously locked to "supported" DAWs).

From practical perspective of full integration with CbB, I still do not have any of these keyboards 😉

And while I have found my X-Touch Mini preset (developed without the device) is reasonably good with Mini (which I have bought recently), I for example have found my accessible RME app (developed without the device) far from perfect, since I have misunderstood some concepts of TotalMix and so my imagination how things work was not bound to the reality... (I have fixed that since I have RME now). So there will be no (my) preset till I have the device.

I have an MK1 S49 but I've barely used the KK plugin to be honest... :)

What does it mean for me as a Cakewalk/Sonar user that the MK1 has MCU support? Will transport buttons work without any extra configuration when using the Komplete Kontrol plugin?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, azslow3 said:

From CbB side, a reliable  way to find which Synth has relations to which track (available on surface API level) still does not exist. On NI side track switching functionality is unlocked for a while (was previously locked to "supported" DAWs).

There is always the workaround of putting your synth in the track's effects bin. 

This was the legacy way of doing things though, and I'm not sure how long this will be supported in CbB.

Edited by msmcleod

7 hours ago, Deckard said:

I have an MK1 S49 but I've barely used the KK plugin to be honest... :)

What does it mean for me as a Cakewalk/Sonar user that the MK1 has MCU support? Will transport buttons work without any extra configuration when using the Komplete Kontrol plugin?

You need "extra configuration", you have to say Cakewalk explicitly that you have MCU 😉

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There is always the workaround of putting your synth in the track's effects bin. 

This was the legacy way of doing things though, and I'm not sure how long this will be supported in CbB.

This feature is not "legacy", effects with MIDI input and synthes are effectively the same thing. So I do not think that is ever going to be obsolete.

I try to deduct related synth a bit hacky way,  from the number returned for the track MIDI output. The track should be MIDI (or "Simple synth") and then it works. But I remember there are situations when that fails (Cakewalk has rather fancy way to reference IO channels, I guess the reason for occasional problems with In/Out assignment inside a project once the hardware configuration is changed). So, explicit API should be added into Cakewalk to do the same "production quality" way.