Fuzzy/blurry fx bin flyout menu font

tunes4days

Just updated to the latest release version of CW from quite an older version and noticed the blurry/fuzzy and in some sense bolder font for the flyout menus from the track fx bin.  All the rest of the menus displayed from the main toolbar and elsewhere in the application render clearly.  Any ideas on the cause?  The previous version didn't exhibit this problem.  I don't have the theme editor installed but might I find something there?  No system font scaling in place or any changes to display scaling.  Running with a 24 inch Dell U2415 LCD display at 1920x1200(native resolution).  Monitor is 16:10 aspect ratio.  Nothing customized in terms of anything display-related essentially.  

Appreciate the assist!

fx_menu_font.png

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

The theme editor is useful for editing colors and images, not text-based fonts. 

That's what I thought.  I've never had a reason to fire it up in the past.

I tend to think that this is related to the software vs any Windows settings.  I just tried another CW install on a brand new/stock Windows 10 with the same result.  Very strange.

I tend to think that there is custom construction of these particular menus within the software vs them being standard system-supplied menus like we see in the toolbar and elsewhere in the application.  The flyout menus from the toolbar which render properly, such as Edit -> Select, even have different arrow icons to indicate "more" menu to the right, aka the flyout.  I also noticed the colored text for the VST version on the right of the plugin lists that seems to further suggest that these are being custom constructed since this isn't normally a rendering seen with standard system menus.

Any way to elevate this to the software team?

Thanks!

Edited by tunes4days

See below for normal system flyout menus from the 'Clips' combo box on the track on the left and the menus for the FX bin on the right.  If you open and view at 1:1(make sure to zoom to 1:1 and/or fully open browser window) you can clearly see the distinction between what every other menu in CW looks like vs what the FX bin menus look like.  If there's nothing that can be done then of course it still works.  It's just a shame to see such a mismatch from the rest of the application when the rest of the application is superb.  The font is so much larger and blurry/poorly rendered for the FX bin menus...

fonts.png

Edited by tunes4days

I see the OP's point.  Looking on my laptop (win 8.1) whatever font they now use for the menus does seem to manage the quite unusual feat of being both bigger yet also less clear. First time that I've even looked at them TBH and it does seem a bit like change for the sake of change rather than an improvement.

9 hours ago, paulo said:

I see the OP's point.  Looking on my laptop (win 8.1) whatever font they now use for the menus does seem to manage the quite unusual feat of being both bigger yet also less clear. First time that I've even looked at them TBH and it does seem a bit like change for the sake of change rather than an improvement.

Thanks for confirming.  I just checked with another buddy that I know runs CW and he saw the same thing on Windows 10.

Anyway, I have a rather extensive software background and come across situations where stock UX elements don't fit the bill and you need to create a custom version if you will.  Menus of various sorts can be just one example.  Maybe they don't display icons where you'd like to have them or you can't tweak a particular aspect that needs to be tweaked to meet your needs, e.g. size, spacing, padding, foreground color, background color, font, etc.  Anyway, I just noticed that the padding, background color, font, etc. varied quite a bit from the system-supplied stock menus so I figured this was a custom menu.

I'm just getting back into recording after about a year hiatus.  New Dell Precision fixed workstation more memory and Xeon power than I should ever need, new Windows 10 Pro install, latest plugin updates from all the vendors I like, etc.  I'm still sorting out which DAW I'd like to move forward with but CW has been my go-to for so, so long that I'd like to stay with it.  Anyway, I've put a lot of energy into getting going again so I want to do it with a DAW that I'm not fighting with.

TBH, I wish Bandlab would launch a subscription-based model in which we can get less frequent, hardened releases.  Keep the free releases for testing out new UX elements/changes, new features, etc.  that are mostly stable/desirable while soliciting feedback.  Keep the EAs for even more experimental/less stable work.

FYI here's the same comparison from above on 2020.11... so much cleaner IMO.  I get that a lot of work has gone into the new menus to display the VST version in the right gutter (seen above) but they just don't look good at all IMO and there's such a mismatch from the rest of the application... needs work

font2.png

28 minutes ago, scook said:

Is the 177KB C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\XSRoboto-Regular.ttf installed?

No it is not.  I just re-installed 2021.11 to verify.  Would having this font present help?  I can't find this particular font via Google but I did find Roboto-regular.ttf.

7 minutes ago, scook said:

yes

Are you using BandLab Assistant or the Cakewalk Web Installer?

I updated to the latest version a few days ago via CW itself.  I was prompted that there was a new version available at which time it downloaded the new version.  I then ran that installer after shutting down CW.

Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_27.11.0.018.exe

I still had the installer from 2020.11 thankfully when I came across the FX menu display issue.  I rolled back via these.

Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_26.11.0.099.exe

Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_27.01.0.098.exe

Now, to get to your question, to re-install the latest release again to confirm whether or not that font file was present, I simply re-ran the latest installer from above.  Are you suggesting a different approach?

4 minutes ago, scook said:

Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_27.11.0.018.exe is a ~560MB full installer.

Try running this installer as administrator.

Correct, it is the full installer at ~ 560MB.  Right-clicked and ran it as Administrator and the font file is not present.  Menu font is still wonky.

It would not be in Program Files.

It starts out in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\XSRoboto-Regular.ttf and is copied to the CbB user folder.

So, yes there should be a copy of the file in 

4 minutes ago, tunes4days said:

C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\XSRoboto-Regular.ttf