Automation trick?

Starship Krupa

Question

I thought I saw or read somewhere that there's a quick way to make a standard 4-node automation segment.

By that I mean a flat segment with double nodes at each end so that the flat part may be dragged up or down, like for toggling a parameter or muting or whatever.

It was something like drag to select the segment you want to do this on, then a modifier key and a click or drag to automatically create a line segment with two nodes at each end.

I've combed the Reference Guide and documentation, searched on the forum....am I imagining this?

6 answers to this question

Okay, when I was first trying to do this, I saw this on p. 606: With the Smart tool, hold down the CTRL key and drag to insert two nodes at the selection boundaries.

I tried it, and was expecting it to work as stated, the nodes would be inserted as soon as I released the mouse button. Making that selection, then dragging in the top half of the lane does the trick. I shall inform Mr. Saether.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:30 PM, msmcleod said:

Using the smart tool, select from the bottom, drag from the top:

Something I've discovered about this after tearing a certain amount of hair out: I can only get it to work if there's already a node later in the timeline.

Once I have created that first node, I can use this technique only to the left of it, not to the right.

Is this as-designed? I can't find it described in the Ref. Guide, but it's a big book and it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something.

5 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Something I've discovered about this after tearing a certain amount of hair out: I can only get it to work if there's already a node later in the timeline.

Once I have created that first node, I can use this technique only to the left of it, not to the right.

Is this as-designed? I can't find it described in the Ref. Guide, but it's a big book and it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something.

Yes - the shelf tool alters existing envelopes.  If there's no node to the right of it, there's no envelope to modify at that point.

• Thanks 1