Are you telling people about CakeWalk by BandLab?

Some of you have been using it for years and are in the know...grass roots gorilla marketing and raising awareness among musicians of the sonic abilities abounding in CakeWalk and the price by BandLab can't be beat!

Spread The Word and Feel The Love!

-SLF
Producer,
SoundTracker APP

CommodoreKid.jpg

Using CakeWalk by BandLab since Pro Audio 9 previously AMIGA Bars and Pipes Pro with Studio AD516 preceeded by MusiCalc & Music Construction Set on my Commodore 64 and I love It! ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawn Lee Farrell said:

Some of you have been using it for years and are in the know...grass roots gorilla marketing and raising awareness among musicians of the sonic abilities abounding in CakeWalk and the price by BandLab can't be beat!

Spread The Word and Feel The Love!

-SLF
Producer,
SoundTracker APP

CommodoreKid.jpg

Using CakeWalk by BandLab since Pro Audio 9 previously AMIGA Bars and Pipes Pro with Studio AD516 preceeded by MusiCalc & Music Construction Set on my Commodore 64 and I love It! ;)

I also had an Amiga, running Bars and Pipes, Music Mouse, Doctor T's KCS, and "M". Those were fun days! Creativity at it's best.

Today, I have BandLab Cakewalk( since Pro 9 also) and Studio One with more equipment and experience!

Different times, different software, different music!

All in a life!

• Like 1

I came from the Amiga as well. 

Music-X was my tool of choice. Over 250 tracks, a patch librarian, PRV, Staff Editor, Event List, a MIDI filter/mapper, and even a 4 channel sample player. I *think* you could do rudimentary hard-disk recording, but it's so far back I can't remember... maybe you had to record it as a sample first in a separate program. 

SOS did a review back in '89: http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/music-x/5672

Here's a cool video  @rasure  uploaded to YouTube:

Sequencer One on Amiga for me.  I resisted computers for years, sticking to hardware sequencers and tape.

So glad I finally made the move..

I tell anyone who will listen about Cakewalk.  One of my students has just this week started using Cakewalk to record his Prog Rock band. 

• Like 3

I sure as hell am, mostly right here in this forum.

You would be amazed at the number of posts by people who make it all the way through the process of discovering that the old Cakewalk company's forum is locked, registering an account with BandLab, navigating through the popups and dialogs telling about CbB, only to get to this forum and post about how they're running Sonar X1 or whatever and having some technical issue.

Or they come in and post asking in earnestness whether they should even try CbB. They are not sure whether their bundled plug-ins will still be available, etc.

And, once again, we reassure them that CbB installs right alongside, works great, very similar except more features and faster and more stable, and you get to keep your existing bundled plug-ins and installation of Sonar. No risk.

I've asked, no, begged, for a sticky on this topic, so far to no avail.

I just hate to see all these people missing out on something that's such an improvement.

• Like 1

I am but ... what I find is that once someone becomes a real Daw user, they lock in very fast.  And then there's the "Industry Standard".

Informed new users can get the most benefit from this Killa Daw!!!

• Like 2

I am, all over facebook in person and when I can on this forum.

I feel like all the other happy users of Cakewalk by Bandlab.. "Why aren't they coming over in bigger numbers?"🙄

Been using this DAW since the PRO9 days (in some very small studios).  Got my own copy of Sonar3 (and my own studio then too 😎)

I guess it's a slow process trying to win over all of the "industry Standardites" one by one, but somebodies gotta do it.

Carry on..

• Like 1

No. Everyone I know who could use it does already.

For my only muso friend on a Mac I suggested Reaper for now. Once he gets the hang of recording i have a copy of Studio One Artist i may pass on to him.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

I have suggested it to quite a few people. Especially those who use something like Ableton or FL Studio and are looking for a traditional DAW for certain procedures. But most of the time when I get to the part about it being free. Instead of excitement, they tend to pull a face and shrug. Then some weeks later when I speak to them again, it turns out that they ponied up dough for either Pro Tools, Cubase or Studio One and didn't even bother trying Cakewalk.

I'm really not sure how you can beat free as a sales point? But I think it is likely that this DAW needs the similar tales, legends and mystique of the others, to make people want to check it out. Perhaps once some bedroom producers get big and start talking about it, then it will be an awfully easy sell.

which make me think, sonar clearly isn't a priority to bl as an app in itself, maybe they're just scraping code from sonar to put into the online/browser thing, using the current sonar users as some kind of testers/bug-trappers?

/fwiw

• Like 2

If it is a natural point in conversation, and I think it would help the person I am conversing with, I'll mention Cakewalk. I don't push the product or try to force it into a conversation, but if appropriate I will tell people about it.

BTW, I started on the Atari/ST computer. Tried a few sequencers (Dr. T's?) but ended up with Master Tracks Pro. I still use MTPro for MIDI sequencing when no audio is required.  The interface is fast and clean. I never had an Amiga, but at one time I wanted one. I didn't have a commodore, but I had that Texas Instruments TI/99 or whatever they called it. The TI was pretty useless for music, it was my first computer, and taught me how to write in BASIC though I never got to the advanced stages of that. I moved on to other things when I got my Atari.

After writing some styles for Band-in-a-Box/Atari and selling them through trade magazines I eventually bought a DOS5/Win3.1 PC and a Motorola Mac Classic ][ so I could sell to those platforms as well.  I'm mostly PC now, as the Atari is gone and I see no advantage for Mac for the things I do on the computer.

Insights and incites by Notes

Yes, in response to "how can I" questions on forums. "I'n CbB, you can just do such n' such". Like today on KVR. "Is there a VST that can load other VSTs?" I replied about Cake's fx chains. Most people look at CbB as some cult they don't want to join but the features are still compelling.

A bit like telling People about Jesus. "Oh sure there he offers unconditional eternal spiritual life in heaven and all but....."

Edited by bitman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1