Are you telling people about CakeWalk by BandLab?

I'm pretty active on Bandlab when time allows and have actually been Evangelizing Cakewalk for decades, well before Bandlab.com existed or was even technologically possible, and am currently involved with quite a few collaborative efforts on Bandlab, as well as various music websites and several groups on LinkedIn I frequent, and as well locally with some decent yet mixed results. Many people flatly refuse to accept the fact that anything free could be any good, and most certainly is some sort of a trap.

Yeah, I get that, and I also and fully realize that it always pays to be skeptical because conspiracy theories do exist, as do ulterior motives. And I also realize that even though it's quite often the case, NONE of these things are essentially bad or absolutely built upon evil intent.

And as a long time Cakewalk user I am a bit more then grateful to Meng for salvaging my favorite DAW from being thrown under the bus of obscurity and providing continuing support.

At first I was quite surprised when I read about it being offered for free, but certainly not as shocked as I was about other users angrily complaining how unfair that was, because they had spent hundreds of dollars per year for SONAR Platinum.

Well so did I, in fact I shelled out  thousands of dollars over the past couple of decades for yearly upgrades, every year thinking since around the time SONAR 4 Producer was released, OK this freak'in ROCKS steady and stable, THIS is going to be my LAST UPGRADE! But every year Cakewalk not only offered more functionality and smoother workflow, all of which I could honestly live without, but more importantly and much more useful to my workflow, some really great 3rd party plugin bundles that would easily cost me 3x the amount by purchasing them directly from the 3rd party vendors. I would have to be stupid, crazy, and or both NOT to purchase the upgrade for $150 (US) when it included something like a fully licensed $300+ version of XLN Audio's Addictive Drums, plus many extra's along the way.

For YEARS I was wondering how Cakewalk was making any money, and it wasn't until Gibson threw it under the buss, it wasn't worth the effort and expense to keep up paying all the licensing fees.

And what's Bandlab's ulterior motive for providing such an EXCELLENT matured DAW less all these 3rd party plugins and tech for free? Well, not that it's anybody's business other then their own, or that it's an inherently evil conspiracy theory to steel our souls.. 

But I would assume, considering Bandlab is in the retail music business based in Singapore, and maybe, MAYBE  Cakewalk by Bandlab just a really, REALLY nice box of tools given to us in good faith to be used to support and record the instruments and 3 party software they sell to their present and hopefully future customers???

Ya know, as any professional working musician from the US knows, how Sweetwater from Ft. Wayne, Indiana, built their reputation as America's BEST music equipment retailer by offering state of the art services like personal sales engineers, instructional and product review videos, HUGE 600+ page semi-annual very informative catalogs, FAST and free shipping and even still throws in bags of candy in the box with every purchase.. Always puts a smile on my face. 🐵

I really love that candy. My last purchase from Sweetwater was a Warm Audio WA 414 lg diaphragm condenser mic, which is a bone chillingly accurate clone of a world renouned vintage AKG 414, yeah they are great, blah, blah, really needs no detailed explanation as we've all heard them 1000's of times on 1000's of hit records, blah, blah, blah, when I opened that Sweetwater box I was happy I got my new Microphone, but only excited and interested in the free Tootsie Rolls..

I never even tried to get someone to switch or change over from their preferred DAW, for what should be obvious reasons that are very much in line with trying to talk a life long Dodge pickup truck owner into buying a new Ford pickup truck, it's just not worth consideration.  Yet some got curious enough to try it out to see what all the fuss was about, and some trashed mouthed after 5 minutes from everything for being blank and ugly to not having any demo songs automatically open for them to jam along with to get inspired enough to get started, stupid DAW, LoL, I wouldn't even know how to respond to that, so I never did. 

But others, typically the musician creative types who've had even relatively modest experience with Studio ONE, Pro Tools, Cubase and the like  actually really liked and respected Cakewalk enough to pursue and continue dabbling with it as a secondary DAW, based mostly on almost instantly falling in love with ProChannel.

I take that as a decent sign and a true plus for Cakewalk's Integrity.

All that being said, I do believe that Cakewalk has been the most recognized popular, widely used, and most award winning DAW in the WORLD for 2 DECADES!

12 hours ago, Steev said:

All that being said, I do believe that Cakewalk has been the most recognized popular, widely used, and most award winning DAW in the WORLD for 2 DECADES!

you can believe what you like (religions being the classic example) but that doesn't necessarily make it true in our collective shared external reality

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

you can believe what you like (religions being the classic example) but that doesn't necessarily make it true in our collective shared external reality

He did say "I do believe" (an opinion). So what's your point ?

Your opinion Vs. his ? Come on man, don't be that guy.

22 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

if you look at the available data, it's difficult to come to that conclusion

And where is this "Available Data" ?

Are you going to point me to some Gear Sluts poll ? Or maybe a KVR poll on "What's the most "recognized, popular, widely used, award winning" daw ? xD

You know as well as I do there is no way that data is accurate. Its only accurate to people who use those sites. I don't belong to those sites, a lot of others don't either. So its impossible to say for sure. That's why we say things like "I believe" :P So we cover our tracks using our opinion. The second you say "Data" your giving a false sense of knowledge that is skewed and far from fact.