Blender 3.0 Released

cclarry

On 12/5/2021 at 1:06 PM, Dave Maffris said:

What is daunting for me is that while I seem to have a knack for video editing software, I have NEVER been able to use photo editors adequately--some part of my brain doesn't understand how to do it...oh well, I'm gonna give this a spin at some point.

I am glad @abacab posted that video above. The first 20 seconds of that is pretty much everyone's initial reaction to Blender in a nutshell. Blender is fun to play with, but can be frustrating at the same time (as is most software at the start!). Learning the keyboard shortcuts is crucial to do just about anything. Start small and be realistic with learning it. Tutorials like the above are extremely helpful and often specific to task.

• Thanks 1

I have tried to give it a go and got some, well eh, results? Most of my experience was me yelling at my (now ex) girlfriend why the button they clicked in the tutorial is not where they say it is. 

Somehow the concept of nodes goes over my head. I do get the logic when I watch a tutorial. "Well off course I have to plug a gradient node into the background node with a diffuser node in between and mix the colours in a node to get spots, duh".  But I can NEVER come up with these things myself. Same goes for Davince Resolve Fusion page. I get around with cut and edit and basic effects, no problem. But Fusion, that thing and its nodes scares me.

2 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I have tried to give it a go and got some, well eh, results? Most of my experience was me yelling at my (now ex) girlfriend why the button they clicked in the tutorial is not where they say it is. 

Somehow the concept of nodes goes over my head. I do get the logic when I watch a tutorial. "Well off course I have to plug a gradient node into the background node with a diffuser node in between and mix the colours in a node to get spots, duh".  But I can NEVER come up with these things myself. Same goes for Davince Resolve Fusion page. I get around with cut and edit and basic effects, no problem. But Fusion, that thing and its nodes scares me.

Sounds like we are in the same place with that....one of these days I'm going to get over that hump and figure it out, but I'm lazy and I, too have many workarounds that accomplish a fair amount without having to master the dreaded "nodes." 

• Like 1