[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.12 Early Access [Updated to Build 93]

Morten Saether

On 12/14/2021 at 12:25 AM, msmcleod said:

You moved the track between track 17 and the track immediately above it, which is currently hidden due to it being in a collapsed  folder.  

There's no way for Cakewalk to guess your intent here - did you mean below track 16, or above track 17 ?  Hence the left/right gestures and the indicator.

Hm, couldn't the behavior be a bit simpler, which would also make it clearer:

1. If you drop it on a track folder, the track obviously goes into the folder, to the bottom. (If there are nested folders you want to target, you need to hover on top to expand them first.)
  2. if you drop it in between fully collapsed folders it should stay on the top level (like in Mark's example)
  3. If you drop it in between tracks that are on different levels, only then is the drag indicator needed to show which level your track will end up on. (This has been a bit tricky before...)

Maybe I'm not just understanding something here... that's been known to happen. :D

Edited by GreenLight
Added option #3

i had a problem with export to flac - it removes " . " and inserts just projectnameflac, so the file is not recognized after that.
well, it's easy to solve, but it wasn't before.

and another one is about setting up the time for export, i needed to skip 3.51.0 and when i add 3 it works,
but when i try to add .51 it changes from 3 to 15 or something else, something wrong with counting that.
and if you set the time, it will select some track and maybe will render that track, not whole time selection
and you can't unselect everything to render like "entire project".

On 12/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, Morten Saether said:

We're pleased to announce Early Access for 2021.12! This release introduces support for nested track folders,  localization updates, various enhancements and optimizations, and over 50 bug fixes.

We'd love for you to check it out before we drop the official public version.  Please test Region FX clips with Melodyne, elastique time stretching and verify that VST3 plug-in operations work normally.

What I observed in the use of Melodyne: When I first created a region, that is, select a track and then created a region, I was able, with ease, to move the notes with the stretch tool.  However, I rendered that region, but then wanted to do some more editing and selected the track, again, and created a region of the whole track for a second time.  In this second create region, scenario, the stretch did not work as it did with the first create region.  Now, if I did something different, on long the way, I am not aware of it.  Still, the second time through, instead of the notes moving independently, of one another and freely, they would move in snaps of a certain degrees and would stretch in a way that was unusable.  

Well here I am, again, commenting on the stretching tool: I don't know what I did this night to make it work, and it worked just as you would hope it to work.  Then, out of the blue, it started doing that thing -- where instead of moving the notes nicely and smoothly and be able to stretch them in a very usable, and very wonderful, way -- to moving in chunks or snap like half note movement, which are not usable.

Edited by kjboies

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Very good indeed! It would be better if the nesting of folders were also reflected in the Console View where, if the nesting does not propagate, it will continue with ALL TRACKS visible.

Being the desire to better organize the workflow, my opinion is that this nesting of folders should also propagate to the CONSOLE VIEW.

@Noel Borthwick this is a great idea!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Very good indeed! It would be better if the nesting of folders were also reflected in the Console View where, if the nesting does not propagate, it will continue with ALL TRACKS visible.

Being the desire to better organize the workflow, my opinion is that this nesting of folders should also propagate to the CONSOLE VIEW.

While this is possible, it does start getting very complicated. How do you properly display sub folders in a meaningful way? Also, how would it affect control surfaces? 

• Like 1

Since this is a fix release, here are some things that probably need fixing in my experience.

In tracking mode (track view, comping mode):

• with record and monitor active on the track, the existing recorded lanes in that track play in the background while you record; don't know what the idea is behind that, but it's very off putting. constantly need to mute lanes and unmute them, etc. Shouldn't activating the monitoring play the input, instead of the track?
  • moving clips, resizing, etc., disables TH-U on the track - first in the insert FX box; need to reload the preset for it to restart working;
  • moving clips, resizing, etc., makes some synths stop playing.
  • when you delete a clip, CW deletes automation nodes for the FXs on that track 😳 (TH-U Bypass)
  • selecting a clip on a recording lane selects all the clips underneath it, including the empty lanes beneath; randomly happens, don't know why.

Export:

• if I've worked on the project for a while before exporting, very often the export fails to export random tracks, audio or synths - don't know why that happens; need to reopen the project, and redo all the settings that never get saved with the project, then re-export for it to work.
  • some projects would crash on export, with no message. I've set the buffer size to "playback" and that solved it the last time, on a project, don't know if that's the general rule.

Random

• starting/stopping play (both by mouse or space bar) resets the "*****" parameter for the Embertone Sensual Saxophone (which basically adjusts the velocity, grit and reverb); need to freeze the track to be able to keep the sound, meaning I can't edit - then unfreeze for editing, on a very low volume sound.

Project setting

• the Arranger show/hide setting doesn't get saved with the project; sometimes, very rarely, it would, but 95% of the time it doesn't; the behavior is seemingly random.
  • the Show Velocity on midi clips setting never gets saved with the project.
  • the Wet Only setting on NastyDLA never gets saved with the project; i think it got saved one or twice, don't know because of what.
  • the Browser, Synth Rack and Help window size and order - same thing - very rarely get saved with the project.

All these things need to be redone every time you open a project.

Question: anybody know why, when recording - comp mode - a take on a new lane splits all the takes in the lanes above or beneath it, in the place where it stops?

This is annoying as hell - basically need to manually delete and resize clips after every take - sometimes the clips are so small that you can't do that, so you need to drag or zoom, then delete, then redo the zoom/drag. One time it didn't do that, and it was a huge improvement, but I couldn't detect the setting that changes that behavior.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

While this is possible, it does start getting very complicated. How do you properly display sub folders in a meaningful way? Also, how would it affect control surfaces? 

It doesn't necessarily have to have folder nesting, but something that we could have faster access to certain groups of tracks, like an option to group them by category so we could show or hide the tracks. Like a folder anyway. For example, if I'm working on a project with more than seventy lanes, if I'm exactly on the last lane and I need to go back to the first lane, or any lane that is in the middle of the course, I have a long way to go via the scroll bar. If you could group it by categories, like a track folder, that would be really great. In this way, the control surface would not be affected.

Although there could even be a nesting, but not cascading like in track view, just unfolding folders.

And of course, that it was a user option to use this feature. Anyway, it would be like when we create subgroups, only with the option to show or hide the view of the tracks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herbert Miron said:

It doesn't necessarily have to have folder nesting, but something that we could have faster access to certain groups of tracks, like an option to group them by category so we could show or hide the tracks.

You have that already with Track Manager presets.

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

While this is possible, it does start getting very complicated. How do you properly display sub folders in a meaningful way? Also, how would it affect control surfaces

Please, whatever you consider with regard to Folders/Console View, keep control surfaces in mind.

And thank you for another great update!

Best,
Klaus

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

Please, whatever you consider with regard to Folders/Console View, keep control surfaces in mind.

And thank you for another great update!

Best,
Klaus

Just to be clear - we're not considering any changes to the console view at present.

• Thanks 3

On 12/13/2021 at 11:19 PM, msmcleod said:

Keep an eye on the left edge of the indicator - it shows the level at which the track will be placed.

Thanks,  I get you're going for now but it seems  somewhat obtuse and barely visible. Maybe I am missing something but  to me it's always been clear me when I've dragged something either into a Folder, above it or below it without the need for tiny lines and slight mouse gestures.   

1 hour ago, Sergey said:

Performance in Console view is not good.
Not processing, no plugins 35 track and ASIO 256 sample buffer.

It's not a new problem, it's known Cakewalk performance degradation I tried to report since a while but nobody hears..

Sonar Professional works smooth with same traks.

Capture.PNG

Try the following:

1. Turning off Waveform outline drawing under Track View Menu,  View->Display->Show Waveform Outlines

2. Either turn off "Display Clip Fade/Envelope attenuation" within Perferences->Customization->Display OR...    Reduce the resolution of the envelope attenuation display by setting ClipGainWaveformAccuracy=4  within Preferences->File->Inititialization File.    This controls how often the waveform envelope is "sampled" in order to reflect clip gain/pan automation in the waveform display.  A value of 1 is the highest accuracy (more CPU), whereas a value of 8 is the lowest accuracy (less CPU).  This doesn't affect playback, only the display.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

Since this is a fix release, here are some things that probably need fixing in my experience.

Great post, Olaf! But I don't think you'll get a reaction here, as this is about the EA.

Try creating  separate thread, and I'll help you out getting attention by replying to it. :) But: I think you need to create multiple posts for it to make sense. Especially since you mention some 3rd party plugins with issues. In those cases you need to contact the developer to get it fixed and/or have them make contact with Cakewalk.

Something seems to have changed when freezing a VSTi.  Instead of one contigious clip it's been split up every time ther's a some sort of gap . So this kick drum track ...

image.thumb.png.71dd86588f7b088d0e3fe11a95f948fd.png

Becomes this if frozen

image.thumb.png.bb880eaf89f58f8c45fba474cb16f623.png

Which is not very handy as I froze it to  enable me to zoom right in and align it exactly with the track below. So I tried selecting them all and using Bounce To Clip it didn't do anything and they remain fragmented.

Edited by Mark MoreThan-Shaw