[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.12 Early Access [Updated to Build 93]

Morten Saether

I used a custom theme and tried the 2021.12 EA version and found that the Archive Icon on the track seemed to be broken?

However, the default Mercury and Tungsten themes are fine.

I have also applied the themes designed by several users, and I have the same problem. Is it a problem with the EA version?

236878643_ArchiveIconBroken.thumb.jpg.4e94c60da3b1377982e14aefeb94c5f6.jpg

1271773007_UntitledProject.gif.692d1fbc34e42d820d813682244f4864.gif

[Update] Here is the solution:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/13621-psa-theme-changes-updated-10-dec-2021/

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/37609-theme-changes-for-cbb-202112-ea-build-91-93/

Edited by Johnny Tsao

14 minutes ago, Johnny Tsao said:

I used a custom theme and tried the 2021.12 EA version and found that the Archive Icon on the track seemed to be broken?

However, the default Mercury and Tungsten themes are fine.

I have also applied the themes designed by several users, and I have the same problem. Is it a problem with the EA version?

The Archive button needs updating in the Theme.

It's now a tri-state button with 8 images, similar to the mute button.

• Thanks 1

First let me say I appreciate the work you are doing, as for the early access build i love the nested folder i only wished it was reflected in the mixer as i work in the console view mostly when mixing, as for issues it the latest early access build as been crashing aon project i'm doing where have archived and audio tracks in folders.

Nested tracks is great for those that don't know what they are doing (creating 93 tracks for something that could and should be accomplished within 16 to 24 tracks). I, however,  several years ago asked for the ability to nest folders (simple OS menu tree) in the plugin menu as I have a couple of thousand of them. I should be able to create a folder that way and eliminate a folder as well. Drag and drop. It shouldn't be all that difficult for your programmers (it's not rocket science)

• Meh 1

I'm absolutely loving the nested folders, it is going to save me huge amounts of time scrolling and in organization when finding an instrument in my 208 track orchestral template. Thank you so much for this feature!

I'm having a very difficult time moving tracks left or right (in and out of folders). Either I don't know where to grab the track or it just isn't working for me. I can move tracks up and down, but that same grab point does not move the track left or right (right into the parent folder of the track above it).

I've even started with a fresh project, here's my repo steps:

1. Create new blank project (no tracks)
  2. Create 6 audio tracks (CTRL+T  x 6)
  3. Select tracks 1-3, right click and select Move To Folder / New Track Folder
  4. Hover mouse over track 3 to where you get an up/down cursor.
  5. Drag left, the track does not move out of the folder.
    Expected behavior: Track is removed from the folder.
  6. Hover the mouse cursor over track 4 to where you get an up/down cursor.
  7. Drag right, the track does not move into the folder of that track 3 is in.
    Expected behavior: Track is added to the same folder as Track 3.
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, nakedivy said:

Nested tracks is great for those that don't know what they are doing

??  nested folders is a most welcome and much appreciated feature. doesn't sound like you have any experience with professional film scoring, orchestral realizations or commercial (i.e. big budget) pop productions. 

the ability to nest folders ... in the plugin menu

?? I make extensive use of the existing capablity 

It shouldn't be all that difficult 

to explore the available documentation

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033405834-Using-the-Plug-in-Manager-

(it's not rocket science)

agreed

fwiw, feature requests can be made here.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

Edited by jackson white
added ref to feedback category
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fred's Gratis Scores said:

I'm absolutely loving the nested folders, it is going to save me huge amounts of time scrolling and in organization when finding an instrument in my 208 track orchestral template. Thank you so much for this feature!

I'm having a very difficult time moving tracks left or right (in and out of folders). Either I don't know where to grab the track or it just isn't working for me. I can move tracks up and down, but that same grab point does not move the track left or right (right into the parent folder of the track above it).

I've even started with a fresh project, here's my repo steps:

1. Create new blank project (no tracks)
  2. Create 6 audio tracks (CTRL+T  x 6)
  3. Select tracks 1-3, right click and select Move To Folder / New Track Folder
  4. Hover mouse over track 3 to where you get an up/down cursor.
  5. Drag left, the track does not move out of the folder.
    Expected behavior: Track is removed from the folder.
  6. Hover the mouse cursor over track 4 to where you get an up/down cursor.
  7. Drag right, the track does not move into the folder of that track 3 is in.
    Expected behavior: Track is added to the same folder as Track 3.

I think the auto track naming is confusing things here. If you change the name of your tracks then it might become clearer:

So, step 4:
fgsTrackMoveStep1.gif

Step 6 is a limitation of the drag/drop when moving into folders.  You cannot currently move into a folder and keep the existing vertical position:

fgsTrackMoveStep2.gif

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I think the auto track naming is confusing things here. If you change the name of your tracks then it might become clearer:

So, step 4:
fgsTrackMoveStep1.gif

Step 6 is a limitation of the drag/drop when moving into folders.  You cannot currently move into a folder and keep the existing vertical position:

fgsTrackMoveStep2.gif

Hmmm... That looks like current behavior, I've done exactly that before this release. I was following the instructions in the release notes. It says nothing about dragging it up or down, just left or right. Perhaps I'm not understanding the following:

New behavior when dragging tracks/folders:

• Dragging a track to the left side moves it out of the folder.
  • Dragging to the right side moves it to the bottom of the existing folder at the target location (i.e. same level as the track above).

5 minutes ago, Fred's Gratis Scores said:

Hmmm... That looks like current behavior, I've done exactly that before this release. I was following the instructions in the release notes. It says nothing about dragging it up or down, just left or right. Perhaps I'm not understanding the following:

Keep an eye on the left position of the drag indicator. It indicates the level at which the destination will be:

dragTrackFolderIndicator.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Studio 64 said:

First let me say I appreciate the work you are doing, as for the early access build i love the nested folder i only wished it was reflected in the mixer as i work in the console view mostly when mixing, as for issues it the latest early access build as been crashing aon project i'm doing where have archived and audio tracks in folders.

@Studio 64can you attach the crash dump file generated?

Hi. FYI. I'm using Win 10 and installing to the latest update (2021.12 Early Access [Updated to Build 93]) has caused Cakewalk to hang consistently when just clicking play. The audio continues to run but the programme hangs and after closing Cakewalk and relaunching it simply hangs on the intro screen requiring a PC restart to get back in (for it to do the same). I've found nothing on sfc /scannow hence the post. BTW I'm grateful to others on the forum who have explained how to fresh install the previous version while protecting 'crucial' files/folders from being overwritten/deleted, by making copies of them outside of the programme folders. Keep up the good work. It's appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Mark Draper said:

Hi. FYI. I'm using Win 10 and installing to the latest update (2021.12 Early Access [Updated to Build 93]) has caused Cakewalk to hang consistently when just clicking play. The audio continues to run but the programme hangs....

Digidesign interface?

47 minutes ago, Евгений said:

Great update, but there is a problem with the display of the buttons - see the image.

I just updated from EA build 91 to EA build 93 and had the exact same issue.  The image strip for the Archive button changed size.  It went from 5 button states to 8 button states.  According to discussions in the forum (from what I read), if a custom theme uses the older strip, the theme needs to be update.  If a custom theme hasn't over written the default via the theme editor, there is no need to update that image element.  Others can correct me if this is not accurate.

Edited by User 905133

10 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I just updated from EA build 91 to EA build 93 and had the exact same issue.  The image strip for the Archive button changed size.  It went from 5 button states to 8 button states.  According to discussions in the forum (from what I read), if a custom theme uses the older strip, the theme needs to be update.  If a custom theme hasn't over written the default via the theme editor, there is no need to update that image element.

This is correct.

• Thanks 1