[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.12 Early Access [Updated to Build 93]

Morten Saether

We're pleased to announce Early Access for 2021.12! This release introduces support for nested track folders,  localization updates, various enhancements and optimizations, and over 50 bug fixes.

We'd love for you to check it out before we drop the official public version.  Please test Region FX clips with Melodyne, elastique time stretching and verify that VST3 plug-in operations work normally.

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2021.12 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2021.11. 

Download Cakewalk 2021.12 EA installer

Should you need to revert to the 2021.11 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2021.11 Rollback installer.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.
Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

Support for nested track folders

To improve track organization, Cakewalk now supports nested track folders. A nested folder is a subfolder that is contained within another parent folder. Nested subfolders allow you to organize tracks more logically. For example, you can have a "Guitar" parent folder that contains "Electric" and "Acoustic" subfolders.

image.png

To only move tracks into another folder, drag one of the tracks or select Move To... from the context menu of one of the tracks.

To move the entire folder, drag the folder itself onto another folder, or select Move To... from the context menu of the folder.

If a track is in a folder, selecting Move To Folder >New Track Folder will create a new sub-folder at the same level of that track.

image.png

image.png

Note: As with the top level folders, any empty folders (i.e. specifically, folders containing no tracks) will ALWAYS appear below those containing tracks.

Tip: When changing the color of a track folder, hold down the CTRL key to apply the same color to all child tracks within the folder.

New behavior when dragging tracks/folders

• Dragging a track to the left side moves it out of the folder.
    • Dragging to the right side moves it to the bottom of the existing folder at the target location (i.e. same level as the track above).

Tip: While dragging, look at the left edge of the drop indicator - it will be exactly at the folder depth the track will be placed at.

Expand/collapse track folder modifiers

• SHIFT+click on folder +/- to expand/collapse entire folder hierarchy of the folder you clicked on.
    • CTRL+SHIFT+click on folder +/- to expand/collapse all folders in project. This is convenient if you want to quickly expand the hierarchy to search for a track, but then want to collapse it all.

Localization update

The French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese  and Russian versions of Cakewalk have been updated. German and Portuguese  will be updated before the public release. 

Note: There are several known localization layout/formatting issues (truncated text, etc.) that will be addressed before public release)

Issues resolved in Cakewalk 2021.12 EA (build 27.12.0.093)

Stability:

• Crash loading export task settings
    • Crash if wildcard left in place when adding path
    • Hang on project load with user project
    • Fix for JBridge crash when flushing plug-ins
    • Guard against crash/hang with sample counts going negative 

Export:

• Export task fails with no meaningful message if drive or path is invalid
    • Export fails to render Radius stretched clips unless a time range is explicitly selected
    • Export as MIDI File should not show audio track warning message
    • Filename incorrect when recalling task with period in filename
    • Regression: Audio export path not immediately updated on project save
    • Export Audio dialog:
      • Add keyboard navigation support
      • Using space bar to update multiple selection items doesn't update range dropdown
      • Selection flyout not updating Time Range dropdown
      • Mouse wheel scrolling skips rows in  'Tracks/Buses in Project' list
      • Inconsistent selection recall on Export Task recall
      • Expand width of Export Multiple Files
      • Task queue panel should limit its height to queue size + 1

UI:

• Preferences Categories illegible in High Contrast mode in Windows
    • Expose Arranger, Export Audio dialog, and Tempo track to Help Module
    • Folder colors / original folder ordering not restored on Undo Delete Folder
    • Destination folder should expand when moving tracks
    • Click on Folder comp clip not selecting all tracks
    • Folders missing "Move to Track Folder" in Context Menu when single folder present
    • CTRL + click folder color bar should change color for all folder contents
    • Track range selection does not work as expected with folders
    • Lasso select within Clips View selects all articulations
    • Fixed accessibility/screen reader support in several menus (eg. plug-in menus)
    • Add Subfolders count to top folder stats - added read-only stats for immediate sub-folder count
    • Unable to edit tempo change time in Tempo Inspector
    • Track Manager fails to open from Console view if project contains folders with nothing but empty sub-folders
    • Archive button not showing tri state on folders

Note: If you use a custom user theme, you must update the Archive button in Theme Editor (found under Tack View > Track Pane > Archive). The previous Archive button image has 5 states and is 122 pixels wide. The new Archive button has 8 states and is 176 pixels wide. The button states are the same as the Mute Tri-State button (from left to right): Normal | Normal Down | Normal Hover | Selected | Selected Down | Selected Hover | Disabled | Tri-state.

Misc.:

• Upgrade to VST3 SDK 3.7.3
    • Upgrade to Elastique SDK 3.3.9  (contains fixes for elastique stretching)
    • Upgrade to latest ARA 2.0 SDK
    • Folder Color is not saved in Track Templates
    • Track Templates do not save bus colors
    • Track templates do not save ProChannel post effect status
    • Echo button always showing half enabled for folders containing instrument tracks
    • Drag moving a track moves the track plus all selected tracks, regardless of whether the track is in the selection or not
    • Unable to drag multiple unnamed MIDI clips to desktop
    • Articulations incorrectly appearing in Folder Comp stream
    • Bounce to clip renders silent clip if the track destination bus is soloed
    • Inconsistent ports with Append Instrument / Simple Instrument Tracks
    • Stretched clip in project wont play
    • Time stretching slip edited or split clips results in incorrect stretch ratios
    • Undo of slip stretched clip incorrectly restores state in this project
    • Undo of deleting a missing synth in project containing aux tracks causes feedback loop
    • Undo of deleting a synth in project containing drum maps doesn't restore MIDI out routing
    • Regression: Solo silences pre-fader sends on other tracks

Plug-ins:

• Waves Tune plug-ins appear as Region FX unexpectedly
    • Soloing a track containing a plug-in with active sidechain input causes project to play silent in old releases when unsoloed
    • Move of ARA clip fails to update Melodyne
    • Cannot change plug-in properties for VST3 plug-ins in Plug-in Manager

• Like 15
    • Thanks 21

It is working well here. My only comment is the Parent Folder should have some indication that it contains Sub Folders. It indicates the number of audio, midi, synths and hidden tracks contained in the folder, but the sub folders are not included.

• Like 6
    • Great Idea 4

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Hooray!!!! Nested Track folders!!  Looking forward to this!

Tested nesting tracks as follows:

1. Started with a recent tune-in-progress (3 folders with 1 hybrid instrument track each).
    2. Created an "Original Tracks" folder.
    3. Selected the 3 original folders and moved them into the new "Original Tracks" folder.

It worked like a charm (including a few permutations of original folders--e.g., open/closed, etc.) !

Tried several methods to duplicate the new exterior folder.  I couldn't do it, but there might be a way I don't know about.  At most I got duplicates of the three original tracks placed within the third interior folder. 

If duplicating a folder containing other folders so as to maintain the hierarchy is not possible at present, I can make a FR after it has been released.  At present, this is too good as is to wait!!!! 

And if it can be done, I'd be happy to know the correct steps.

For me nested track folders is a game changer in terms of workflow!  Thanks.    

Edited by User 905133
    to correct a typo

Great release! Delighted about nested folders.

My only observation is that it seems to be a slow process to move existing tracks into the nested folders - Cakewalk keeps hanging and it takes a minute or so to do.
    Is that expected behaviour? I'd have thought this was only a simple cosmetic change but perhaps something more complicated has to go on behind the scenes to enable this functionality.

Admitedly I have a large template project of approx. 500 tracks, but was only moving 20 or so at a time.

1 hour ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

I have a large template project of approx. 500 tracks

That seems to me to be a massive template, I would be really enlightened by why you need so many tracks in a template, my inquiring furry mind is intrigued to know why?

Thank you.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    • Great Idea 1

I have some big orchestral / full live kit templates that can get into the hundreds, especially once you get into doing redundant DI tracks for guitars, Aux tracks for routing, etc.  Having said that, that's hell to wrangle - I've tended to split those big templates into more modular templates I can add at will when necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

That seems to me to be a massive template, I would be really enlightened by why you need so many tracks in a template, my inquiring furry mind is intrigued to know why?

Thank you.

I like fusing genres so there's a a few orchestral libraries, rock/metal layout, electronics (pads/leads/bass) and all sorts of other world instruments, the VST's are split across three mini-servers via Vienna Ensemble Pro. A lot of the tracks are drums given that up-to sixteen channels can be common for some libraries. I've also got some predefined tracks for people who I collaborate often with; again saves time and means I can keep mix presets. Originally i had a seperate layout for writing and mixing but i've kinda combined them together for ease.

I'd say the actual number of active instruments/tracks will be probably a quarter of that; when I know I definitely won't use something it'll get removed. There are some professional composers though who's track counts run into the several thousands! Often because they have multiple different orchestral libraries for different moods, and these can be fiddly to set up each time from scratch so it's easy having things already there.

In the interest of keeping this thread on track, if you want more details feel free to drop me a message :)

The performance of my project in general is pretty good - hence why I was flagging that it seemed unusually slow to do the track moves into subfolders. This occured with both VST tracks and blank audio ones.

Edited by Matthew Simon Fletcher
    • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Tested nesting tracks as follows:

1. Started with a recent tune-in-progress (3 folders with 1 hybrid instrument track each).
    2. Created an "Original Tracks" folder.
    3. Selected the 3 original folders and moved them into the new "Original Tracks" folder.

It worked like a charm (including a few permutations of original folders--e.g., open/closed, etc.) !

Tried several methods to duplicate the new exterior folder.  I couldn't do it, but there might be a way I don't know about.  At most I got duplicates of the three original tracks placed within the third interior folder. 

If duplicating a folder containing other folders so as to maintain the hierarchy is not possible at present, I can make a FR after it has been released.  At present, this is too good as is to wait!!!! 

And if it can be done, I'd be happy to know the correct steps.

For me nested track folders is a game changer in terms of workflow!  Thanks.    

You can do this by selecting the top folder (which will select all the child tracks/folders), right clicking on one of the tracks and saving it as a track template.

Importing the track template will recreate your folder hierarchy plus all the tracks.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Morten Saether said:

Localization update

The Spanish, Italian, and Russian versions of Cakewalk have been updated. Additional languages (French, German, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese) will be updated before the public release.

it's about time !!👍
    great job !!

3 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

My only observation is that it seems to be a slow process to move existing tracks into the nested folders - Cakewalk keeps hanging and it takes a minute or so to do.
    Is that expected behaviour? I'd have thought this was only a simple cosmetic change but perhaps something more complicated has to go on behind the scenes to enable this functionality.

Admitedly I have a large template project of approx. 500 tracks, but was only moving 20 or so at a time.

Yes, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes in order for undo/redo to work properly.

There's a fair amount of bug fixes/improvements to track templates in this release, so it might be worth using smaller project templates and inserting track templates as and when you need them.

Also, don't forget about the right click context menu on tracks and folders. A lot of the time, the "Move To Folder" command is a lot more convenient than using drag/drop.

• Like 3
    • Thanks 2

Organization is such an important part of creating content... this update is going to make recording projects (especially large ones) in Cakewalk so much more efficient. Thank you!

Scott
    --
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
    * Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

• Like 6
    • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yes, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes in order for undo/redo to work properly.

There's a fair amount of bug fixes/improvements to track templates in this release, so it might be worth using smaller project templates and inserting track templates as and when you need them.

Also, don't forget about the right click context menu on tracks and folders. A lot of the time, the "Move To Folder" command is a lot more convenient than using drag/drop.

Thanks Mark - now i've updated the master project all is good anyway :)
    Appreciate the track template improvements - I do use these in addition anyways.

6 hours ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

@Matthew Simon Fletcher Could you send a link to your template so we can try and evaluate why it takes long?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

Two things are odd.

1.  All of my levels on an existing project were set to zero.
    2. My recording properties when recording over an existing track track changed from sound-on-sound to comping.

Rolling back for now as I'm mixing a bunch tonight.

@Greg Wynn Nothing in this release I know of that would cause that. What levels specifically were reset? Can you send the CWP file you used prior to opening it and show what the levels were in the prior version? You can easily roll back and verify if the levels are what you expect. Take screenshots before and after.