UJAM Iron 2

cclarry

Brushed, polished and better than ever

Pay tribute to the gods of rock with roaring riffs and power chords with version 2.0 of IRON, our legendary Virtual Guitarist. Now completely overhauled and improved: Play your own riffs, choose from a selection of stomp box effects, and enjoy the entirely re-recorded samples and phrases.

Upgrade is $49

https://www.ujam.com/guitarist/iron/

For the benefit of anyone who is thinking of trying this and not already aware, UJAM V2 upgrades tend to overwrite your previous version, so if you try it but don't buy it then you will be locked out of your existing version when the trial period expires, so you will have to uninstall v2 and then re-install/re-authorise your original to get back to where you were. 

I haven't tried any of the guitar v2's, but would recommend that any CW users try before you buy as there are issues with at least the drum v2's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

I mean the Product.  I got Iron 1 Free....so maybe someone will be giving 2 away 
at some point in the future...IDK...just a possibility

Ah... right. UJAM products have been a freebie quite often in the past. We'll see. I'm good at the waiting game. :)

• Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, cclarry said:

You might even get it free...that's how I got Iron....

Yup. Today's UJAM release is very often tomorrow's freebie, or at least very near to freebie. I wouldn't buy anything from them at the release price.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Is it a good one?

Demo video sounds great, but I wasn't happy about the versatility of other phrase-based virtual guitars I tried.

Tried Riffendium? You can customize every note and beat of each phrase, as it treats phrases more like editable step sequencer like you'd see in a synth. It's got limitations, but it's the most customizable phrase based guitar libraries I've used.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

Tried Riffendium? You can customize every note and beat of each phrase, as it treats phrases more like editable step sequencer like you'd see in a synth. It's got limitations, but it's the most customizable phrase based guitar libraries I've used.

So Riffendium makes use of individual samples instead of recorded phrases?

I think that technique works the best when combined with a decent amp sim.

26 minutes ago, daveiv said:

I think that technique works the best when combined with a decent amp sim.

There are two version for each library - one DI where you can use your own amps / cabs, and the other with Amp baked in, but not the cabinet. Cabinets / effects can be added / customized in the instrument. 

It's phrase recordings - but it's very customizable. If you look at this part of the video - that whole section at the bottom (just above the keys) is totally customizable. You can change the whole rhythm, time signature, notes, chords - adding rests, extending parts, up / down strokes, pulling different clips for parts of the phrase, or adding clips that aren't actually in the phrase. And they try to cover as many chord variations as possible (minor / major, 5th, 7th, etc.) It's pretty awesome. There are 7 libraries, covering a bunch of genres (rock, funk, blues, ambient, etc.)

Edit: actually the video below is a better example of the editor (around 17:40 mark):

Edited by Carl Ewing

I asked UJAM about the upgrade price and they said:

The Upgrade for IRON2 for 49 EUR / USD is only close to the IRON2 single unit, because it is also part of the Black Friday sale with 50%. The regular price for IRON2 is 149 EUR / USD.

Re: Riffendium, Audiofier's Black Friday sale ends today, so you have still time to buy something with a 50% discount.

Edit: I'm going to buy Riffendium 6. I play guitar but this style is unfamiliar to me so it's going to be great for picking up ideas.

Edited by pseudopop
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, daveiv said:

Don't know about Riffendium, but if you are making a comparison with UJAM, the virtual guitarist uses samples as well. The phrases are midi patterns that control the style, but can also be dragged onto the DAW timeline in v2. But in "Player" "Instrument" mode, you can play the guitar samples, which in the case of IRON 2 are power chords, with key switches for articulations.

Edit: to correct from Player mode to Instrument mode.

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Don't know about Riffendium, but if you are making a comparison with UJAM, the virtual guitarist uses samples as well. The phrases are midi patterns that control the style, but can also be dragged onto the DAW timeline in v2. But in "Player" mode, you can play the guitar samples, which in the case of IRON 2 are power chords, with key switches for articulations.

Now that's interesting. 6+ GB of samples and no loops. But they're all power chords and no individual notes?

7 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Now that's interesting. 6+ GB of samples and no loops. But they're all power chords and no individual notes?

The UJAM guitars are "virtual guitarists", not just guitar sample libraries. VG-IRON 2 is specialized to play heavy power chords ("Hard & heavy chords and riffs").  The midi  phrases provide the riffs. They are accessed via key switches. This is not a solo guitar or strumming guitar. The demo is free to try so buyers should not be surprised. the VG v2 has added "Instrument" mode, and midi phrase drag and drop to your DAW track.

The following VG titles, except for VG-CARBON, are still version 1 and lack the midi drag and drop, as well as lack the instrument mode.

VG-Carbon is an 8 string electric with extreme processing. The instrument mode has single note playing ability with articulations. The player mode has interesting riffs and phrases. 

VG-SPARKLE is a Fender style electric for chords, octaves and riffs.

VG-AMBER is a steel string acoustic strummer. 

VG-SILK is a nylon guitar with finger picked arpeggios, patterns, and chord riffs. 

Hope that helps put them in context.