piano roll stuck on pencil, can't get cursor

live bit

Question

such a silly problem this, how does one get the cursor back in the piano roll? whenever I open piano roll my cursour changes to a pencil and I can't work out how to get the cursor back so I can select sections.😡

using CbB v2021.11

Edited by live bit

10 answers to this question

F5-F9 select the various tools.

However, bigger issue, you may be doing what I was doing for a long time when I started using Cakewalk: you're using the Select Tool where you would be better off using the right mouse button.

Try it. Hold your right mouse button down and drag a selection. No need to switch tools, it works no matter what tool is selected.

Edited by Starship Krupa
Only with Smart Tool

On 12/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, Starship Krupa said:

F5-F9 select the various tools.

However, bigger issue, you may be doing what I was doing for a long time when I started using Cakewalk: you're using the Select Tool where you would be better off using the right mouse button.

Try it. Hold your right mouse button down and drag a selection. No need to switch tools, it works no matter what tool is selected.

Didn't know that! 

I tried and it's WAY better!  thanks! :) 

Anyway , for this to work, you have to be active on the Smart Tool. Doesn't work if you are using others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

Anyway , for this to work, you have to be active on the Smart Tool. Doesn't work if you are using others.

Oops, you are correct. Thank you.

Glad you find right mouse button select so useful. It would be nice if there were some way to emphasize this in the documentation. Learning to select with the right button is, IMO, almost essential to getting fast with Cakewalk.

My MIDI editing speed was like a glacier until I figured out this technique. It's not as big a deal in Track View, because the Smart Tool switches to select mode pretty easily, but for Piano Roll, wow, what a difference.