Reverb

Barry Seymour

I plug the cable into the amplifier, I plug the cable into my guitar
But if I say that’s all, I am a liar, I conjure sounds both subtle and bizarre
I tell a lie with every note I’m playing, it sounds like something came from outer space
All the crazy sounds my guitar’s making are coming from my user interface

You hear me here, you hear me there, you hear me all around
You see me high up in the air, you feel me in the ground
Spinning, swirling ‘round your head, you think that it’s superb
I turn it on with my right foot, it’s only my reverb

(Like) echoes traveling through the air you’re hearing, ripples travel forward through your life
When your ancient schema’s interfering, your past dysfunction cuts you like a knife
And everyone around you is a target, everyone around you is a mark
Every day your history incarnate returns to sabotage you in the dark

You see it here, you see it there, it undermines your life
It alienates your family, it irritates your wife
Often it can manifest in ways subtle and absurd
Ripples spread with every change, it’s only your reverb

You may never recognize the patterns
You may not see how it all adds up
The prehistoric you within the caverns
Is orchestrating every new screw up

You stand here near the ending of your journey, the road behind you long and winding past
You start to think you might need an attorney, your ancient crimes will do you in at last
There aren’t any major laws you’ve broken, just a lot of simple, dumb mistakes
But every now and then some word you’ve spoken reverberates through time until it breaks

You hear it here, you hear it there, you hear it all around
You see it high up in the air, you feel it in the ground
Spinning, swirling ‘round your head, destruction undisturbed
Old  mistakes you can’t undo, it’s only your reverb

Edited by Barry Seymour

Barry - this is a cool song.  I particularly like what's going on in the chorus sections.

Interesting lyrics and guitar parts too.

My only comments are with the interaction between the bass guitar and the kick drum.  

You might consider a little complimentary EQ , to give them both their own space.

Also, and this is more picky,  the bass and kick seem a little out of sync on some of the unison parts.  If no one else mentions this, it's probably just me. 😏

-Eric

7 hours ago, Eric Parsons said:

Barry - this is a cool song.  I particularly like what's going on in the chorus sections.

Interesting lyrics and guitar parts too.

My only comments are with the interaction between the bass guitar and the kick drum.  

You might consider a little complimentary EQ , to give them both their own space.

Also, and this is more picky,  the bass and kick seem a little out of sync on some of the unison parts.  If no one else mentions this, it's probably just me. 😏

-Eric

Thanks for the feedback - I'll look for it.

2 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

loved the guitar tone

Yep, he's got a bit of the "Woman" tone going on in this one.

👍's, I'm a fan; what more can I say?

t

On 12/3/2021 at 10:13 AM, Eric Parsons said:

bass and kick seem a little out of sync

not really "jumping" out at me.

I might high pass the guitar, start at say 100 Hz and play with it; especially on the outro; just me...

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:38 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Yep, he's got a bit of the "Woman" tone going on in this one.

👍's, I'm a fan; what more can I say?

t

not really "jumping" out at me.

I might high pass the guitar, start at say 100 Hz and play with it; especially on the outro; just me...

"Woman" tone? Not the John Lennon song. ????

43 minutes ago, Barry Seymour said:

"Woman" tone?

Eric Clapton, I think "woman" is a reference to his tone on Outside Woman Blues; but that's not the only or first instance (think Sunshine of Your Love).

IIRC, its the middle setting (we are talking dual Humbuckers now) with one? tone control rolled off.
He gets similar tone with the Strats (think it might be something in his hands? or preferences eq-ing his amps?)
I'm sure its debated/discussed ad nauseam all over the net.
With the vast majority of opinions being total bollocks!
Much like the "real" story of the drums on Levee by Zep...

t

Note:
Personally I prefer his solo on I Feel Free where you hear him switch from the Neck (or both maybe?) to the bridge pickup on the last phrase of the solo.
Whether that was played on the 'Burst or the Red 335 (does it matter) I've never seen discussion; but I avoid those kinds of threads so....

but I digress

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 8:21 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Eric Clapton, I think "woman" is a reference to his tone on Outside Woman Blues; but that's not the only or first instance (think Sunshine of Your Love).

IIRC, its the middle setting (we are talking dual Humbuckers now) with one? tone control rolled off.
He gets similar tone with the Strats (think it might be something in his hands? or preferences eq-ing his amps?)
I'm sure its debated/discussed ad nauseam all over the net.
With the vast majority of opinions being total bollocks!
Much like the "real" story of the drums on Levee by Zep...

t

Note:
Personally I prefer his solo on I Feel Free where you hear him switch from the Neck (or both maybe?) to the bridge pickup on the last phrase of the solo.
Whether that was played on the 'Burst or the Red 335 (does it matter) I've never seen discussion; but I avoid those kinds of threads so....

but I digress

I wrestled with a lackluster tone on my Frankencaster for years; even went through three sets of pickups. It wasn't until my tech replaced the volume control pot that the thing finally came to life and gave me that Strat sound I've been longing for. The soloing here is just the neck pickup and TH3 effects. I'm lovin' my Strat now!

image.thumb.png.6885182ae96f651fd73218932a0d452b.png

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KurtS said:

Sounds good Barry, nice guitar sound. Was the volume pot a different Ohm value?

The last mod I had him make (not shown above) was to put Fender Vintage pups at neck and middle, and a Seymour Duncan 'Shawbucker' at the bridge. The third knob had a push-pull button to switch the Shawbucker from single to double coil. He changed the master volume pot from 250k to 500k, whatever that means. He said it was a 'compromise' that wouldn't help the Fenders but would help the Shawbucker. But the whole thing came to life! I finally got that STRAT sound I had been longing for.

• Like 2