How to preserve velocities when saving as MIDI file?

·⛤·

Question

I had a MIDI file created by another application and opened it with Cakewalk. The notes in the MIDI were played live on a digital piano, so they all have different velocities. Then I saved the file as cwp and edited it in Cakewalk, taking care of the dynamics. After saving the file back to MIDI, all velocities became reset to 127, which is completely no good.

How to convert my cwp file to MIDI without losing velocities?

velocity.png

8 answers to this question

Not familiar with how the Notation view works and somehow think this might be what happened to you.

I work in the Piano Roll View ( PVR) and the velocities for each note show in the controller pane below . They are easy to edit in a variety of ways I mostly use the smart tool on the top/ middle of the note blob and drag it up or down. A little dialogue box shows you your amount as you work. 

So it's not clear if you are using PVR or just the staff view to edit? You must have done something that highlighted all the notes and change the velocity to max. 

Question- did you save the CWP file before closing? Cakewalk always asks you to save. If so when you open the CWP are your velocities still as you set them?  

@Jack Cat, I do edits mostly in the Piano Roll, too. The Staff View was used for illustration purposes only. And yes, in my CWP file all velocities are in their proper places, I can hear it during playback. Of course, I saved the file, opened and closed it many times before saving it as MIDI.

Cakewalk will not convert, offset, scale - or commence any other change to midi data with out a specific instruction to do that. Cakewalk has been doing MIDI for longer than probably any other music software - and they do it very well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scook said:

There must be more to this story.

The channel might have been changed by me during editing, but I definitely didn’t touch the velocity. Attached to this comment are a short excerpt from CWP file (where the velocities are fine) and a MIDI file generated from this excerpt (where the velocities became reset to 127). Maybe you could suggest something after looking at the files?

piece.mid piece.cwp

Edited by ·⛤·
typo