Band in a box 2022 sale (and some life observations…)

Yan Filiatrault

At least they have been very fair with their upgrade pricing.  It is only $20 more to upgrade every 2 or more years.  I usually wait about three.  I suppose they could change that policy, but I have been using BIAB for a couple decades.  The prices have gone up, but they keep packing more chops in the Box.

3 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

At least they have been very fair with their upgrade pricing.  It is only $20 more to upgrade every 2 or more years.  I usually wait about three.  I suppose they could change that policy, but I have been using BIAB for a couple decades.  The prices have gone up, but they keep packing more chops in the Box.

I'm on UltraPak+, and I don't see how to upgrade and the cost if I skip a year.

2 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

I'm on UltraPak+, and I don't see how to upgrade and the cost if I skip a year.

At https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm if you follow the UltraPak+ column down the rows, you should see a price for 2021-2022, and after that,  2020 and earlier.  I think the prices were $179 / $199

Edited by Brian Lawler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Not following your logic.  If you upgrade BIAB 2010 (skipped 11 upgrades), the cost is $199.   20$ more than upgrading BIAB 2021.

I’m not talking about the same thing. If you read again, if I skip Ultrapak+ 2022 update and decide to upgrade to Ultrapak+ 2023, I’ll pay the same price than if I update both to 2022 and 2023.

Edited by Yan Filiatrault

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm not sure that I follow this. If you skip a year, you are not charged for 2 upgrades when you upgrade in 2 years. You only pay once for an upgrade, and it is usually about $20 more to upgrade an older version.

If I update Ultrapak+ 2021 to 2022, it’s 99$. If I then update 2023, it’s another 99$. Total of 198$.

If I skip 2022, then upgrading from 2021 to 2023 directly is 199$. So I end up paying the same price, without the exclusive content from 2022. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I think I got it-  I didn't look at the "PlusPak" option at $99.  I guess that is the way to go if you want to upgrade every year.  Their options are not the clearest to understand.  😁

Yes, the PlusPak is the cheapest way to upgrade. The caveat is that you have to do it every year if you want that option.

In BIAB, Help > What add-ons do I have? will tell you if you're missing anything, including the extras that are sold separately (Xtra Styles Paks, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a little bit more to deciding how often you upgrade to BIAB.  

Every year BIAB comes include a free 49PAK.  If you don't upgrade THAT year, you can never buy that content later.

Each year, they also sell a 49 PAK, as @Yan Filiatrault mentioned. This costs $49.   Again, if you don't upgrade every year, to my knowledge  you lose your chance to buy that year's 49PAK.  I can't find anyplace on the site where they sell the old ones.

Last year's 49PAK included a set of "Multi-styles," which are styles that have many sub-styles.  Those styles you can still buy, but they cost $29.

There are also 12 sets of Xtra Styles, which can be purchased any time. However,each Xtra Style only works with the version of BIAB that was available when it came out. That's because it uses the styles that came with that version.   Each one usually sells for $49, but they are $29 during the sale.  You can currently buy all 12 for $199.   I bought the first 4 for $99, so that's a pretty good deal.  Since then I've been paying $29 each. 

Xtra Styles are kind of like presets. There's new content in them, they just combine the various Real Styles to create something unique.  But like presets, you can create things like that on your own.  But the Xtra Styles are pre-mixed.

They also have two sets of what they call XPro Styles. These are the same as Xtra Styles, but you can use them with any 2021+ edition of BIAB.  They are different content from the Xtra Styles.

In summary, if you want to have as many Real Styles and other BIAB special crap (like live singers)  as possible, you must upgrade every year.  I've missed a lot. 

You can learn about what is in all these BIAB  add-ons HERE   Try the various tabs on that page.

So this year for me:

Upgrade                          $99
XtraStyles 11 & 12   $58
49pak                              $49

TOTAL - $206  🥵  And I spend this kind of $$$ every year. And to be honest, I don't mind because BIAB is awesome, one of my favorite yearly purchases.

I think I will take a chance that I can buy a discount package of XPro Styles later.

PS.  I'll tell you another weird thing.  Last year I wasn't ready to buy the 49PAK when I checked out. I wanted to listen to demos and think about it. But if you don't buy right at the moment you upgrade there is no longer a way to buy it on the site.  What I had to do was buy my BIAB upgrade AGAIN and this time add the 49PAK to my order.  Then I removed the BIAB upgrade from my cart. 😄

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

And I thought their upgrades were confusing BEFORE I read your post 😆  Seriously though- Thanks Reid for your thorough analysis!  I too think BIAB is a ton of fun.  They have been "my band" for a long time.  Amazing how much it has continued to evolve from the MIDI only days.

• Like 2