what did I do?

G Randy Brown

I haven't been active for a while but I'm trying to get a piece together for a memorial video for a family member and I hit something that made me lose my layout.

I need the transport bar and tools bar to show consitently...as it is now I have the control bar showing and I have to click on transport or tools repetively and it's really messing with the flow.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

. . . I’m not dead sure none looks the same on every set up. 

Implied here is a good question for those who use design custom Workspaces: What does none do?

I never explored it, but had assumed it used your Default.lns settings which at some point was saved as a "last-state" before shutting down if changed Cakewalk Workspace rather than a factory (same for everyone) Default.  

I know at one point (Sept 2019) I saved a Default Workspace as WasDefault, switched workspaces, and found the Default was changed. Workspaces has changed since then and I am not sure (1) if my assumption was correct and (2) even if it was correct at one point, if the behavior has been fine tuned and is no longer the case.

If I am close in my assumption, for anyone who doesn't intentionally use Workspaces, none might preserve the Default Workspace so the UI is the same over time.  

Setting workspaces to None effectively disables the feature.

Settings persist across sessions like they did in versions of SONAR Platinum prior to the introduction of Lenses (the original name for workspaces).

At the time of their introduction Lenses defaulted to None.

The release notes for 2019.11 contain the first mention of the Basic workspace as the default.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good info. That might explain my experience. Prior to making tutorials I always just used advanced.

I generally paid no attention to them. I prefer to just customize my view on the fly. I also found screen sets to be way too much of  a bother. 
And I see a lot of long time users saying they use Workspace “none”. And for long time users this probably works fine. But possibly not for a new user. 

I have a laptop I use for typing out my narrative with an up to date version of Cakewalk installed. I purposely don’t have any older versions of Sonar so I can experience what a new user will have.  Only a few free plug ins are added. 
I also haven’t customized it and I use it in ways I never use my other 2 computers that have Cakewalk and all the goodies installed. 

On that machine “none” is like the default Basic workspace. Randy will probably be fine with none because it will load up from that file you are mentioning.

But in their wisdom to make a new users experience “ simple “ they have set the default to Basic Workspace.  This in my opinion was a mistake. Therefore we get all these threads about missing feature.
Try it ! load a Basic workspace and see how far you get in your day before having to switch back to Advanced . Probably 10 minutes!

It’s like you buy a new car and it only has a steering wheel and a gear shift . Everything else is hidden and only way to find your features are to either read the whole manual or ask a question on a forum . The manufacturer claims it’s so your not distracted while driving .