Home Studio Vocal Mic?

Pathfinder

Have atm Stellar CM5 Large D Tube Mic. It's big and heavy and the shock mount is annoying. It is old Sounds OK but I have been looking for something better.

Maybe under $1,000. Prefer large diaphram condensers-Don't need tube but would be OK. I was recommended the Shure SM7B. Bought it, tried it but didn't like it. I didn't buy the cloud lifter because I have a warm Audio WA12 mic pre (old but a good one) Plus I have a Focusrite 18i20 with some nice pres also.

Any suggestions? For my home studio, only MY vocals. I have a powerful kind of high voice. Think Sunspot Baby or CCR and then Peg.

Any suggestions appreciated. I just am, well, tired of the CM5.....Want to try something new. But I do want large D condenser.

Thanks

Edited by Pathfinder

I searched for years for the "right" mic for

10 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

my home studio, only MY vocals

Good luck!

I've settled on the TLM 103 (the 102 is a slightly cheaper option, no personal experience though)

This is a list of what I sold last year (I let a lot of gear go that wasn't my "goto")

AKG C414XLS
AT 4047
EV RE20 (in the same category as the SM7B, I kept the SM7)
TOWNSEND L22 (interesting mic and software, but...)
(the biggie) SONDELUX e250 this is a pricey tube mic, think investment.
They do sound lovely, but I felt uncomfortable leaving it "up".
The 103 is on the stand all the time,

a bunch of "budget" condensers, small, large and tube...

I also sold an AEA R84, but that was to buy the Stereo R88.
Had hoped the Townsend would do "Stereo" recordings; not so much.

Held onto my Royer 121, it could "double" as my vocal mic.
Primarily I use it for acoustic guitar if I don't want a stereo recording.

Again, best of luck, finding the right mic, for me it has been a journey...

t

lets not talk about mic pres, I have a long list.
short story
103 into LA-610
R88 into a pair of AEA RPQ 500's
R121 into Great River 500

• Thanks 1

Might be something in this lineup that works for you. Reviews don't mean much when it comes to specific tastes in mics, but there are a number of reviews out there. They look like quality builds, have a pedigree (of sorts) and a 30 day refund policy.  Only used the BB29 briefly for one session but thought well enough of it to consider buying it in the future. 

https://usashop.jzmic.com/

• Thanks 1

One solid, all a rounder mic.  For a $1050?  

microtech gefell m 930, a real Neumann.  During WWII they moved the factory to the east to escape bombing and it ended up as Gefell in east Germany.  Still make the m7 capsule which the 930 uses.  Solid state and not a larger than life sound, just replication.  Works well on every thing from vocals to fiddle.

you may want to add other mics that fit your voice or guitar whatever better later, but that takes time, as well as funds.  Gefell will still sparkle and holds its value in case you need to sell it to buy your wonder mic.  You hardly ever see them for sale, which is the best endorsement you can get.

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna give a few good microphones!

I've heard the Neumann TLM102 is good but too expensive for me to try. - $700 https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/tlm-102

Rode NT1 is a good microphone.

The cheapest good condenser XLR microphone I could find was the TONOR TC20 Microphone Kit. It comes in at around $60 I think and it also comes with a foam cover, boom arm, popfilter, cable, and shock mount! I bought this mic kit and it's an absolute steal for the price. Worth a shot.

TONOR TC20 amazon link

• Thanks 1

I’ve tried a zillion mikes in my lifetime and what I’ve also learned is there is the perfect mike for each person just like the perfect spouse or partner. And they are just as allusive to find. 
I finally found the love of my life.  My wife when I was 17 and my Shure Beta 58 when I was about 50. 

I learned that I can’t use a LDC I’m too noisy. I snort and breathe and grunt.  To many year screaming into underpowered PA systems with no monitoring. 

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

I’ve tried a zillion mikes in my lifetime and what I’ve also learned is there is the perfect mike for each person just like the perfect spouse or partner. And they are just as allusive to find. 
I finally found the love of my life.  My wife when I was 17 and my Shure Beta 58 when I was about 50. 

I learned that I can’t use a LDC I’m too noisy. I snort and breathe and grunt.  To many year screaming into underpowered PA systems with no monitoring. 

I guess I was lucky - I've used a Shure SM58 for vocals for more than 20 years. I've tried various condenser mics,  but none sound as good with my vocals as the SM58.

I suspect an SM7B would sound better, but with software upgrades and the constant need to buy bigger SSD's, I've never managed to get around to committing the funds for one.

One thing I would say.. the Rode NT1 & NT1A both sound fantastic.  The NT1 is very flat, and the NT1A hypes the top end, but both are great depending on what or who you're recording.

• Like 1

@msmcleod  Have you ever tried the Beta?  It’s very close to the SM58 but with this nice crispy sound. It’s not as muddy as the SM. I have 4 SM 58’s and 4 SM 57 for live sound. Must be 30 years old now and all in great shape. I keep wind socks on them. But they’ve all been dropped and abused many times. That’s why I use them. I don’t let anyone else use the Beta. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 8:19 PM, John Vere said:

@msmcleod  Have you ever tried the Beta?  It’s very close to the SM58 but with this nice crispy sound. It’s not as muddy as the SM. I have 4 SM 58’s and 4 SM 57 for live sound. Must be 30 years old now and all in great shape. I keep wind socks on them. But they’ve all been dropped and abused many times. That’s why I use them. I don’t let anyone else use the Beta. 

A friend bought the Shure Beta87: the sound is bright and crisp, BUT has a noticeable hiss, not very good for studio recording. She is a Voice Actor, and she is asked to send her files over, so she is going to change it.

I use a EV ND767a dynamic mic for scratch vocals on songs or as primary mic for other voice stuff, can get close so I can record anything anytime without background noise seeping in. Then to polish up vocals, I use a AKG C214 but I have to have quiet surroundings for that as it picks up everything.