Understanding Guitar Amps in TH3

Kamikaze

As a novice guitarist with no real world amp experience, I can be easily confused by the options on amps. TH3 manual doesn't really explain, and just lists the amps.

I'm liking the Metropolitan, so ended up youtubing the real amps reviews to get my head around and what's going on. The GUI doesn't help much being you can increse the image size,  but not the resolution, and with the Deco fonts, I found reading the description difficult.

Warm/Smile is actually Warm/Shine

Plexi/Crunch is actually Pexi/Chrome (this is easier to see once I saw the correction)

The preamp has a Volume feeding the tube, but the main amp a gain, and a volume after? Or is the preamps volume after the preamp and a not a gain driving it.

And with a level added after the Volume dial of the main amp, hw are they different? This is additional to the real world amp.

Then the is a Load/Speaker switch, which I'd assume take the speaker out, but seems to have n effect when I don't have a speaking in the chain.

th3041602-ysV0fOnyidugLDcZyJ7fQej9.iE0na

3173_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1376483408

I love this amp sim! One of my favs. I did the same thing you did Kami, couldn't read the font, manual didn't have much info, so I did a search.  ( I almost bought one of these amps!)

They do things differently on this amp. The preamp feeds the tonestack, and how they adjust the filters (EQ) is different than say a old Fender amp. After the tonestack the signal is sent to the power amp.  And with the volume you can get different types of sound out of it. And then you can adjust that sound in TH3, which is that other level knob.

This is a very simplified version of what really goes on, but gives you an example of the signal flow going on with this amp.

I'm going back to read about the amp. If I find something else to tell you I will post back.

[edit] Seem to have a "Silent Recording" feature. Plug your headphones into the am and flip switch to "Load" and it has a recording output like a 1watt boutique amp.

Edited by Grem
Additional info
  • Like 1

The first two knobs are the clean channel. Volume and tone.

Then the Gain is for the Chrunch channel. And as I said earlier, the last Volume know works in conjunction with the Gain knob in getting the sound you want. After you get that sound you can adjust the "Overall Volume" with that level knob.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Grem, that helped a lot. I wasn't really getting the signal flow in this at all, thinking one channel fed the other, instead of choosing between them.

Both the metroploliatan and the singleman seem to be the amps I keep finding myself hanging around the longest. Really enjoy the chimey clean sounds on the Singleman.

Just want to chime in and say that I also use both the Metro and the Singleman a ton.  Fantastic clean tones, and a good platform to get dirty with pedals as well.  Thx for the clarification on the Metro. It was pretty confusing....

• 2 months later...

Hi, this must seem like a very dumb ass question, but how to I open the whole amps page?  I stumbled on it by clicking a button in upper right area of Cakewalk but now can't find it again after pressing every conceivable button and menu.  I created a track for electric guitar audio, so now how to get to the amps from there?    Darren

4 hours ago, MicroLightVideos said:

Hi, this must seem like a very dumb ass question, but how to I open the whole amps page?  I stumbled on it by clicking a button in upper right area of Cakewalk but now can't find it again after pressing every conceivable button and menu.  I created a track for electric guitar audio, so now how to get to the amps from there?    Darren

th3_amps.gif

• Like 1