UJAM Virtual Bassist DANDY $39

abacab

16 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Note all the other 3 basses are at V2 while Dandy is not. I wonder is an upgrade on the way which will require more expenditure :D

Dandy is at v2.1, although the "2" is not in the product title (most likely because it was the latest release in the VB series, when 2 was already the current version). I already own Dandy, so I can confirm this.

Review this page and you will see that the v2 features are included, such as MIDI drag n  drop, and instrument mode. https://www.ujam.com/bassist/dandy/

More on Virtual Bassist 2.1 released July 10, 2020. https://www.ujam.com/blog/virtual-bassist-2-1/

Dandy, released on July 23, 2020. https://www.ujam.com/blog/virtual-bassist-dandy/

Edited by abacab

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

Dandy is at v2.1, although the "2" is not in the product title. I already own Dandy.

Review this page and you will see that the v2 features are included, such as MIDI drag n  drop, and instrument mode. https://www.ujam.com/bassist/dandy/

More on Virtual Bassist 2.1 released July 10, 2020. https://www.ujam.com/blog/virtual-bassist-2-1/

So .. A Q for you @abacab .. you seem to own Dandy and Royal?

Of the 2 I really like Royal better than dandy which in general is available at the moment for $64. Im not sure this one gets better than that price wise?

So my thing is if I was to choose I would get Royal and am I better off doing so now rather than holding out for a cheaper price at some point for Royal like that $39, has itg ever fallen to that kind of level?  

1 minute ago, aidan o driscoll said:

So .. A Q for you @abacab .. you seem to own Dandy and Royal?

Of the 2 I really like Royal better than dandy which in general is available at the moment for $64. Im not sure this one gets better than that price wise?

So my thing is if I was to choose I would get Royal and am I better off doing so now rather than holding out for a cheaper price at some point for Royal like that $39, has itg ever fallen to that kind of level?  

I haven't seen prices on the Ujam Virtual Basses below the $64 price point before. I think that is what I paid for Royal, and I probably even paid the intro price of $89 for Dandy in 2020.

Hard to predict what Ujam will do in the future with pricing...

Of the two basses, the Royal sounds more like a smooth fingered Fender roundwound session bass, with neck and bridge pickups, and amp or direct tones, while the Dandy is a flatwound bass, with amp and direct tones, neck and bridge pickups, and picked and thumbed sounds. They both have their uses. Since you like the Royal better, I assume that the fingered roundwound style works better for your music.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, abacab said:

I haven't seen prices on the Ujam Virtual Basses below the $64 price point before. I think that is what I paid for Royal, and I probably even paid the intro price of $89 for Dandy in 2020.

Hard to predict what Ujam will do in the future with pricing...

Of the two basses, the Royal sounds more like a smooth fingered Fender roundwound session bass, with neck and bridge pickups, and amp or direct tones, while the Dandy is a flatwound bass, with amp and direct tones, neck and bridge pickups, and picked and thumbed sounds. They both have their uses. Since you like the Royal better, I assume that the fingered roundwound style works better for your music.

I went for ROYAL at ADSR before there BF sale ended today - $64 inc that free compressor plugin.

ADV of ADSR for me is being in Ireland I can buy in $$ price vs from Ujam its €64 

I don't have any experience with their basses.I have Ujam electric guitars and drums. Both of those rock. Although I updated to Iron 2, I wouldn't say it's a huge improvement over the original. Since I am not really a guitarist it helps to have the pre recorded licks in some of my material. If these basses are similar I guess the usefulness would depend on whether or not the built in sample runs are useful. If I'm just going to play in a bass part I usually use Modo Bass. I have sat in front of a computer wasting more time than I care to admit checking bass loops to see what fits. Usually nothing does and I end up just playing a bass part with either my real bass or Modo Bass.

For this asking price though I am very tempted to make the gamble. Most of the company videos on these products don't really get into the meat and potatoes of the thing and instead offer up a short splashy video to make us all curious about it. Maybe looking at a demo in use video would be helpful.

52 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I don't have any experience with their basses.I have Ujam electric guitars and drums. Both of those rock. Although I updated to Iron 2, I wouldn't say it's a huge improvement over the original. Since I am not really a guitarist it helps to have the pre recorded licks in some of my material. If these basses are similar I guess the usefulness would depend on whether or not the built in sample runs are useful. If I'm just going to play in a bass part I usually use Modo Bass. I have sat in front of a computer wasting more time than I care to admit checking bass loops to see what fits. Usually nothing does and I end up just playing a bass part with either my real bass or Modo Bass.

For this asking price though I am very tempted to make the gamble. Most of the company videos on these products don't really get into the meat and potatoes of the thing and instead offer up a short splashy video to make us all curious about it. Maybe looking at a demo in use video would be helpful.

Check out Reid’s excellent video for some details comparing ezbass and Ujam.  Modo bass would be all manual of course but you could reuse the midi and play it using Modo bass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey Kev, You know I had forgotten I actually watched this video not too long ago already. I was checking out EZ bass at the time and this is one of the vids that popped up. Since I was watching mainly for EZ bass I missed important details about the Ujam bass. 

I remember Ried from the other forum although I don't go there much. I think he was a frog right? This is funny because I know an Irish flute player here who uses a frog too? Is there a significance to frogs I'm missing? In any case, the real Ried looks nothing like a frog. Whew! Nice video there Reid if you read this.

I'm going to spring for the Ujam bass on this deal this afternoon. It's 40 bucks I can part with to have this. Hopefully the deed will be done before my wife walks in on me and asks me what I'm doing.

I'm not generally a loops sort of guy, but in a  pinch and if it fits I'll use one.

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

I'm not generally a loops sort of guy, but in a  pinch and if it fits I'll use one.

Well they are not actually just MIDI loops. Loops are typically static unless you manually transform them. These are MIDI style phrases that adapt in the Ujam GUI to your fingering and key signature (automatically transpose), but they will loop as long as you hold the note down, or latch.

For example, if you drag a MIDI style phrase from Ujam and drop it into a DAW track, it will inherit the root note that you are playing. Say you are in the key of C Major, play a phrase holding a 'C' note, and drag the phrase into the track. You will get a MIDI pattern based on C. If you follow that by playing the same phrase, but holding an 'E' note, and then dragging that into the DAW track will result in a MIDI phrase based on the 'E' note. And so on. You can build up a chord progression that way in your DAW track.

Edited by abacab

31 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I remember Ried from the other forum although I don't go there much. I think he was a frog right? 

Yes, he is still a frog :)  Pretty active in this forum. He’s probably taking a break from putting together his amazing BF list on vi-control.  Larry and Reid have single handedly caused so much GAS this last week that I think there is a new hole in ozone layer hehe 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, abacab said:

Well they are not actually just MIDI loops. Loops are typically static unless you manually transform them. These are MIDI style phrases that adapt to your fingering and key signature (automatically transpose), but they will loop as long as you hold the note down, or latch.

For example, if you drag a MIDI style phrase from Ujam and drop it into a DAW track, it will inherit the root note that you are playing. Say you are in the key of C Major, play a phrase holding a 'C' note, and drag the phrase into the track. You will get a MIDI pattern based on C. If you follow that by playing the same phrase, but holding an 'E' note, and then dragging that into the DAW track will result in a MIDI phrase based on the 'E' note. And so on. You can build up a chord progression that way in your DAW track.

I guess technically they aren't strictly loops as you say. I sort of lumped them all together. Works the same way as IRON. Great tips on ways to build chords. The thing I found in using IRON was if my DAW latency wasn't set low it threw off me playing these in the pocket.

23 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Yes, he is still a frog :)  Pretty active in this forum. He’s probably taking a break from putting together his amazing BF list on vi-control.  Larry and Reid have single handedly caused so much GAS this last week that I think there is a new hole in ozone layer hehe 

Not sure why exactly but I just haven't felt a real connection with the VI forum the way I do here. Probably mainly due to the fact that I go back a long time here (even though they took my post count away).  In these places I might know who someone is but not really KNOW them. I knew he was around and thought he was more over there than here. 

He isn't a frog anymore here though. Not sure what they made him kiss to wipe the spell lol.