Acronis now only by sub

kitekrazy

Was a fan until now, not alone

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-cyber-protect-home-office-forum/has-standard-perpetual-license-option-been-removed

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/topic/reflecting-post-ati-world

ATI 2020 went beyond disc image and started this security suite stuff.  It monitors software.  I never could figure out my Live 10,11 would take a long time to start on one system. It was this Acronis mess. 

I've always had good luck with Acronis but now they've shunned the home user being a sub.

Not good news that, I've always used Acronis for my offline backups - sounds like I might need a new solution once ATI 2018 goes out of support.

I have an always-on cloud backup but I like to have offline as well, just in case ransomware comes calling.

Andy

Yeah that really sux. I have used Acronis for a long time

I have never payed for any subscription and unless it's an only option for something I have to have I doubt I ever will.

Acronis recently stopped backing up my data because after those last sample libraries I bought the drive I was backing to won't hold it all and it's 2tb. I was thinking of looking at what else is out there that can back up a computer with multiple hard drives to only one image like Acronis could. This has further pushed me over the ledge to do something else soon. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks, I'll investigate Macrium. On first look it seems to be free (free is good).

I started with Norton Ghost. I liked the name ( Ghost 😉 )

When they went extinct, I switched to Acronis. Which now is getting too fat with more and more features. All I need is to be able to make a disk image so if I have a problem, I'm backing up the OS and everything.

I understand a company has to keep on making more money, and either adding more features or starting a subscription service are two ways to do that.

Eventually, apps get bloated and subscription services don't sit well with me.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Notes ♫

On 11/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, steve@baselines.com said:

Try AOMEI Backupper and Partition Magic (if needed). 

Has always worked flawlessly and they had a perpetual license when I bought several years ago. 

Great tech support and a straightforward piece of software.

Good Choice Steve,

I like using AOMEI Backupper as well, download it here ~~~~~>  HERE

So what is the procedure to retrieve an image file if your subscription has expired? In the past Acronis has only supported restoration of images from earlier versions. What happens to info saved with a sub version if your sub lapses? Do you need to re-up to restore it? If any type of software needs to be under the total and perpetual control of a user, it is surely software that uses proprietary formats for backup  of data. Otherwise your backup may be inaccessible. 

Just to tout Backblaze again...  You can get unlimited storage AND unlimited versions AND it's kept indefinitely.  I'm currently paying the Princely sum of $9/month for all of this.

Oh, and did I mention that they will use ALL the bandwidth you have available?  I believe I did.  That means almost 1.5 GB every three seconds with Backblaze (we have 500 Mbps currently), yet Carbonite maxes out at 1.5 GB every HOUR!

Advantages over keeping a local copy (which is also a good idea to do ALSO, not instead of):  It's in the Cloud, redundantly stored and backed up, accessible from anywhere that you have Internet access.  It doesn't become useless should anything happen to your physical drives (theft, flood, fire, failure, etc.).  Just sayin'... 😉

Here's that link again that gets us both a free month should you want to check them out! https://secure.backblaze.com/r/02xo4h