Help! Saved file crashes on opening!

linkbekka

My stress levels just topped 100+

I`ve been working on a 20 track song for two weeks. Now when I try to open the project Cakewalk opens -- without showing any tracks --then immediately crashes....

The horror of finding all that work gone. I can find the audio in the project files but all the midi tracks have vanished. There were some unique contributions included that can`t be repeated. I can try rebuilding the track one track at a time but I`m tight on a schedule.

I just need to reopen the saved file.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated. No sleep for me tonight.

Thanks very much.

Try opening the project in safe mode.

To open a project in safe mode, hold down the SHIFT key while opening the file.

This will allow you to skip plug-ins.

First try safe mode and allow all plug-ins.

If that fails, try safe mode with no plug-ins.

If that works, there is a problem with one or more plug-ins.

Thanks, Scook.

Incredibly annoying. I did once get it to open in safe mode but now it won`t. tried dozens of times today without further success.

When I did manage to open it that one time I worked carefully on the track, checked all the plugins were working and exported what might be a final mix just to be on the safe side. I then saved the file to three different drives, again to be safe. I then closed down....and when I tried reopening it again it just crashed and disappeared.

Another attempt resulted in a proper error message (see attached) naming Quiet Piano VST as the culprit. It then saved a backup file.

I was able to open that backup. Did some more work. Saved it in three different drives....and now I can`t open it...!!!!!

A reply from the Cakewalk bods named Rivitar as the original problem based on a dump report. But that was two weeks ago when all this started and I deleted that back then.

Quiet Piano is now in the guilty frame....but when I was once able to open the backup file Quiet Piano opened without any problem.

I`m just one track away from finishing a new project and can`t move on. Very very frustrating. And how can I ever trust Cakewalk to open new work again...?

It`s obviously a plugin problem, but two have been identified; Rivitar has been deleted and Quiet Piano loads normally.

Any advice, ideas or sedatives much appreciated.

Crash Quiet Piano.jpg