Stuff you shouldn't have bought

kitekrazy

17 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Wonderful world of WUP. 

I've long looked at it like the Waves plugins I've bought as cheap, time limited plugins and if I like them, I have to buy them all over again once they don't work anymore (which hasn't happened yet on my Windows 10 system). I don't even recall how much the WUP might be on a plugin I paid $29 or $39USD for. I think it's more than I paid for the plugin, right? So, if I use a plugin for a while and like it and it has problems, I'll just wait for the next $29USD sale -- but hold on, there's no need to wait for Waves sale because they're constantly on a freaking sale (a violation of FTC regulations, but hey, only marketing pros and marketing lawyers care). It's strange. But you can also say -- okay and this is economics theory for you nerds -- that like unions have an impact on various non-union job wages in surrounding regions, that Waves constantly doing $29 USD sales has resulted in other effects plugins doing similarly -- and the great thing is, they don't have the same kind of whack update plans. At least not yet. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Overtone PTH-2A - Pultec emulator - not that it's not good, I just forgot I already had at least one 🙂

Zero-G Cinematic Toolbox MAX  - it's just not very good (and it took an eternity to download).

Samplitude X3 Suite - when SONAR went, I jumped to this as an alternative.  No matter how many times I try it, I find it incomprehensible.  Although I did get SOund Forge 11 and Spectralayers "for free" with it, which have been useful.

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I've long looked at it like the Waves plugins I've bought as cheap, time limited plugins and if I like them, I have to buy them all over again once they don't work anymore (which hasn't happened yet on my Windows 10 system). I don't even recall how much the WUP might be on a plugin I paid $29 or $39USD for. I think it's more than I paid for the plugin, right? So, if I use a plugin for a while and like it and it has problems, I'll just wait for the next $29USD sale -- but hold on, there's no need to wait for Waves sale because they're constantly on a freaking sale (a violation of FTC regulations, but hey, only marketing pros and marketing lawyers care). It's strange. But you can also say -- okay and this is economics theory for you nerds -- that like unions have an impact on various non-union job wages in surrounding regions, that Waves constantly doing $29 USD sales has resulted in other effects plugins doing similarly -- and the great thing is, they don't have the same kind of whack update plans. At least not yet. 

None of my WUPS are more than $18. So it is still cheaper to WUP than to buy @ $29.  It is cheaper buy than WUP if you go for the current buy two, get two free deal and your WUP is over $15/plugin.

9 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have seen so many people who bought Scaler posting good things. I don't even recall seeing a single negative post about it. I took about the equivalent of one year of music theory lessons and that was during a day when the only tablets anyone knew of were either Tylenol or the ones Moses used. Is Scaler easy to learn? I admit, I am not eager to spend a bunch of time learning a new system. But if it really helps people creatively, as I'm reading in reviews, maybe I should be picking it up. 

One man's easy is another man's wtf.  I think scaler is much easier to learn than captain chords. I think there are products that are easier to start, but the functionality at that point is just making somewhat boring 4 bar pop progressions that you could get from a free chord pack. I think where it becomes "easier" than competitors is when you start using chord progressions that even people who understand music theory may not gravitate towards. It provides value to novice and knowledgeable alike. 

8 hours ago, artturner said:

but...but....but...Captain Plugins EPIC is coming!

(I can mock it because it sucked me in already...just put epic or cinematic or pro after any product and I must have it.) 🤪

That email made me spit out my coffee. I bought two weeks ago so i am probably not eligible for epic 😂

I bought around 20 plugins from Waves last spring for my semi-offline Windows 10 audio production box, and I'd say they have paid off already.

Now they're upgraded to V13 at no cost, so I think I'm covered if I ever want to downgrade to Windows 11, but why would I do that?